Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
16-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #11

Re: fresh meat

Cooked chicken is fine as a treat. They will love it. Make sure you feed a good quality cat food as well. Cats need a lot of amino acids and just feeding meat whether cooked or raw can't provide the amounts they need. Their dietary requirements are a lot more complex than dogs who can quite happily thrive on a sensible raw diet. For instance cats need Taurine and if this isn't in an adequate amount then they can suffer heart problems, among over things, which can be fatal. Meat alone does not contain enough Taurine for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
16-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #12

I didn't realise you meant only raw/fresh meat. I don't do that with Denis he has them as occasional treats and has cat food dry and wet daily.

Catsey Veteran

16-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
I didn't realise you meant only raw/fresh meat. I don't do that with Denis he has them as occasional treats and has cat food dry and wet daily.
I think Swerv did mean as treats. I just thought I would point out the dangers of feeding purely meat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Cooked chicken is fine as a treat. They will love it. Make sure you feed a good quality cat food as well. Cats need a lot of amino acids and just feeding meat whether cooked or raw can't provide the amounts they need. Their dietary requirements are a lot more complex than dogs who can quite happily thrive on a sensible raw diet. For instance cats need Taurine and if this isn't in an adequate amount then they can suffer heart problems, among over things, which can be fatal. Meat alone does not contain enough Taurine for them.
And another serious problem with lack of taurine is blindness! I assumed you meant raw food occasionally as a treat! Mine have always had wet as primary food and occasional dry.

Catsey Veteran

16-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #15

I think Denis is just plain spoilt really!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
16-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #16

Well he's in good company with the rest of ours!!!

Catsey Veteran

16-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Well he's in good company with the rest of ours!!!
Too true

Catsey Veteran

16-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
And another serious problem with lack of taurine is blindness! I assumed you meant raw food occasionally as a treat! Mine have always had wet as primary food and occasional dry.
Yes blindness is another problem associated with a lack of Taurine. Mine have Royal Canin dry food. Persians have a tendency towards sensitive tummies and I have always found, except Tilly who has a stomach of steel, that wet food doesn't agree with them. It's like people though what suits one doesn't suit another and as long as you can work out what is right for yours then they should be fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv
raw beef? can you feed them this?

If you feed raw beef, you must freeze it first which kills a certain baceria that can be present in it...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18653&page=2

Some of my cats have raw meat and I have no hesitation feeding it to kittens but I only use it as a supplement to their normal food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
If you feed raw beef, you must freeze it first which kills a certain baceria that can be present in it...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18653&page=2

Some of my cats have raw meat and I have no hesitation feeding it to kittens but I only use it as a supplement to their normal food.
Eeek, I didn't know that, thanks! Raw steak has always been a birthday treat for mine, guess I've been lucky. Frozen first from now on!