Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #31

Re: Veganism

I clicked on this because i thought it was going to be a debate about people making their cats vegan

I think to be fair veganism has a very bad name, normally because people do not know enough about it, enough about nutrition in general and people think of vegans just eating lettuce leafs( or that's the reaction i normally got) Sadly alot of children suffer because of their parents just not knowing how to cater for their diets, but also parents bringing their kids up on other diets. I know more vegetarian and meat eating parents that feed their kids rubbish!
I can get PLENTY of links to prove that RAW veganism is actually the healthiest diet on earth. Children need different diets to us and most parents do not cater for that, i've seen vegan parents who think that a diet of 'carbs' and soya milk and cheese is a healthy diet. Dairy and meat products have been proven time and time again to cause ill health and some deadly diseases and allergies.Alot of babies are born allergic to cows milk.Soya is a GM food, is only be palatable when heated at a stupidly high temperature and causes ALOT of gas build up...healthy?
B12 and iron can be found in plenty of vegan food that is not in tablet form, higher amounts than meat and unless you are going to eat your meat raw, you cook most of the goodness out of it.
I dont have children at the moment, but when i do i will be feeding them on a raw vegan diet until i see evidence that their is another way and what other way is there but...nature?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
11-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #32

Just thought that evil face--- could of been taken the wrong way, i was meaning my thoughts on vegan cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #33

Agree with you there, cats are obligate carnivores.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
12-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #34

hiya brigoose, i said the same thing (see past posts) my family is vegan & has vegan kids.

not sure if you are a member of her place but i can email you the links if you want..............

(she makes me tell anyone i meet who is vegan about her links.....sorry)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #35

Just a slightly different stance on this debate. Many of you don't agree that vegans should raise their child as such and I can understand this dilemma. My daughter was brought up as a meat eater, and became vegetarian when she was 12 (she is now 1 she wishes she had been brought up as vegetarian as she hates the thought that she has eaten 'dead animal' as she puts it. So turning this round, perhaps children should be brought up as vegetarian/vegans until they are old enough to make an infomed decision??

My daughter did need some supplements when she first became vegetarian as her body was used to eating meat, however, both she and my son have no problems now that their bodies have adjusted and now they source their nutrients from other foods. Sorry to disagree with anyone, but I don't think that we 'need' meat, we just need to make sure we are getting proteins, etc from another source and not omitting it from our diet altogether.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #36

I can understand all the viewpoints on here, which have all been put across very well. As I said, my eldest daughter had been veggie since february, which I have no problem with. One thing I do have an issue with though, is how flaming expensive health foods and veggie foods are. This is what makes it so difficult for a lot of people I think on making the decision to go vegetarian. Fruits, veg and quorn products are so expensive compared to most other foods. I know I certainly feel the pinch more now.

Catsey Senior

12-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #37

i can honestly say that i dont think veggie food is expensive, you can buy 8 veggie burgers for £1.59! x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #38

I must admit I don't find them too expensive either, 2 quorn fillets, compares favourably with 2 chicken fillets and I buy 6 Morrisons vege sausages for £1.50 and they are gorgeous! vege mince is cheaper than beef mince too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisisboss
i can honestly say that i dont think veggie food is expensive, you can buy 8 veggie burgers for £1.59! x
Where??? In my local shops it's that for 4!! and similar for sausages. Which I really begrudge when I can buy 20 Asda sausages for under £1! Also when you are just buying for one person it adds up, rather than the bulk buying you can do for a whole family.

Catsey Senior

12-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #40

in tesco and sainsburys........... its well cheap!

my entire family is vegan & veggie my dad only spends about £5 a week shopping!