Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #11

Re: Howdy folks - query on the catwalk...

Hi and welcome to CatPages! Hope you like it here.

We moved house three and a half years ago and I used harnesses on my 2 (then ages 12 & 14) when they first explored the new garden. They were fine - didn't react at all. Sorry I haven't any experience of using them 'outside'. Do you know if Rex's are like Siamese in terms of territory? My Siamese has an area she is happy in and an invisible border over which she will not cross. Would be nice if your 2 regarded their garden like that. Or cat-proof the garden? - sounds a good idea to eliminate the potential heartbreak.

Let us know what you decide, and of course show us the pictures.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #12

I have used harnesses on my persians when they were small. I soon found I could stop using them as the cats (bar a quick excursion) would just loll around in the garden. They do not go outside with out us being in the garden with them, and on the whole train very well to a limited space. We live by a VERY busy road so there is no way that they will be allowed out unsupervised AND they're persians so some low life would try to have them away I'm sure

BTW - welcome to cat pages and hope to hear more about how you get on with your 2 new additions!!

20-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #13

Thanks everyone. Cat proofing the garden - no chance! It's too huge and open as we live out in the sticks.

A cat run is an idea I'm considering but we are definitely giving harnesses a go so we'll keep you posted!

My partner previously had a Rex that she let out with no problems but our lasty moggy did get run over so we have to bear that in mind.

S'pose not letting them out does reduce the number of bloody presents you find in the morning! I just worry about our ability to keep them in as we love fresh air.

P

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
20-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #14

Hi and welcome,

When my cat got run over (he's still living) We put a metal pole in the middle of the garden with string attached to it then have the other end of the string attached to his lead, then each time he went out we just clipped his lead onto his harness, so he was free to roam the back garden, he loved it.

(That was just so's that he got use to not going far from his home!) and it works! Now he just stays in our street!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey83
Hi and welcome,

When my cat got run over (he's still living) We put a metal pole in the middle of the garden with string attached to it then have the other end of the string attached to his lead, then each time he went out we just clipped his lead onto his harness, so he was free to roam the back garden, he loved it.

(That was just so's that he got use to not going far from his home!) and it works! Now he just stays in our street!
What a great idea!