Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Amphibians down drains

It's that time of year kicked off again, our native amphibians falling into drains.

1st rescue. Mrs Frog, local drain installed recently, one of the casualties of the 'Highways Improvement' decisions made by the local authorities.

Palmate newt, netted out of local'ish' hospital site drain..full of eggs but no way of escape.

Mr Toad (2 dead, 2 alive that day). Crouching down to hide, he was actually quite emaciated.

Mr newt, it was a very hot day and newts are one of the few rescued from drains as they are hard to spot, so this one went to a pond where he would be safe from tumbling down drains..

I checked out a newish housing estate yesterday, 17 toads and 2 frogs later, all alive and released in undergrowth and log pile areas. It's never ending, and as yet there is no workable solution to prevent the huge loss every year of our native amphibians down drains. Toads are fast disappearing and are now on the list of protected species, 'mitigation procedures' with new developments are not often working, even when their ancestral pond is left, they will all head for the nearest water course they come across (new drains) as that is what their instinct tells them. These ones in the drain, some rescued alive, some dead, were surrounded by frog and toadspawn, a shameful waste of lives and a hopeless situation.

If anyone reading this can carry a basic amphibian rescue kit in your car at this time of year, it doesn't cost much, a child's fishing net, a little time, and a bottle of cool rainwater to rinse, (you'll need to bend the netted bit to fit the drain slot) please check (safely) your drains where you live, these innocent lives would be most grateful. Please wash your hands well afterwards as some can people have minor skin irritation after handling toads.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Re: Amphibians down drains

Oh goodness, I never ever thought this was such a danger for our amphibious friends. Not sure if you use social network Truth, but it would be worth putting a post like yours above, to raise awareness. Luckily, there is no highway drainage where we live. We get lots of flooded roads of course but tbh I'd rather put up with that.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #3

Wow, thanks for the info Truth. We live on quite a steep hill so I think any amphibians would be washed away. Will keep a look out on the flat though and pass the info on. What a brilliant thing to do, rescuing frogs, newts, etc.

Catsey Senior

17-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Yes angie I'd like to highlight their plight, it really is a very real one..I'm not really a social network person, the occasional posting to catsey mainly, I'm in the midst of lots of emails with the local authority who are allowing all of these new housing estates going up at a frightening rate and I must raise some more objections to the ecology reports which tbh are all in favour of the developer and don't account for situations like these, with every new development comes lots and lots of drains. Thousands upon thousands of amphibians a year are dying down drains..
These 2 little ones found today. (Apologies for those who are squeamish on amphibians, they really are the most sweetest of creatures if you give them a chance and get to know one or two. )

Had they not had the sense to be sitting it out on the bit of wood, their safety raft, they would be long gone by now.

As one of the little ones was lifted up, ..a 'brucie bonus'! Up came an adult with it!

Can you spot the two? One at the bottom is blowing himself up to look like a fearsome predator/too big to eat! The one at the top entangled in a Snickers wrapper came up too, I didn't expect that! Both now free to roam, it's going to rain tonight so that'll help keep them moist should they want to roam around and find a little nook or cranny of their own they can call home,.. hopefully not a drain!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #5

I had no idea this was such a problem. Well done for what you do for these creatures x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #6

Would you like me to cross post for you?

Catsey Senior

18-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Would you like me to cross post for you?
YES PLEASE!, if it's ok with the mods. I'm happy to answer any questions, ..the more lives saved the better! Thankyou angie.

Catsey Senior

25-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #8

Here's a link to show how it's done. It's very simple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=350xLv7s2VY

And another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSqjmLETjo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

no idea this happened, Truth.
Have shared the youtube info

Catsey Senior

25-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

Thanks Shelly!. Angie has also been very helpful too.
(On the vids if you click on the little cog RH corner then change the quality to HD, 720p or 1080p, far better).