Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Bl**dy fireworks

BL**DY FIREWORKS.........

I thought I had done my best by renting a cottage in remote wales as I could see she was unsure of them and the thunder so to avoid them here in Birmingham Bella and I drove there late this morning only to find she is also petrified of gunfire there was a shooting range within earshot and she would not settle at all and tried to climb up the chimney so put her in the car and have driven home fireworks all over tonight she is petrified however have found a kinda solution in my bedroom under the dressing table which is up against solid walls and the bed to the left and wall to the bathroom on the right two big towels and my dressing gown draped over the table making a den sort of thing and me sitting her typing stroking her.

Have had to put us both in here as she tried to climb into the TV cabinet and under the kitchen unit pushing the plinth aside that's a small gap as you will know Staffies do not fit under kitchen units. So the bedroom appears to be the place with X factor blaring away (good job we are end house)and the bedroom is not next to next doors. Glad she ate her share of the roast chicken tonight before all this started as she must have lost weight with all the energy in being scared. Poor girl but she is safe and kinda settled they are loud tonight though.

Cottage I wales - lovely but not suitable.....no fireworks but gunfire. Paid till next Monday 11th to avoid the firework weekend lost it all though but she is more than worth it.

We have tried Skulllcap and valerian and something a kind person on another site let me try but I do not think they work however if they are and this is with the calming working LORD HELP US I cannot think of the name of it at the moment but not good - DO NOT want to sedate her as must be terrible to be scared but drugged so off to buy a thunder coat and rescue remedy tomorrow and really set the bedroom out properly for her.
Every now and again she literally crawls under the bed and her heart is going 9000000000000000000000000000000 million miles a millisecond......

BLOODY FIREWORKS never had a dog who was even aware of them before but I can't blame the people who enjoy them I have myself in the past one of those things I think we will have to get through. Empathies to all who are affected in anyway.

If they do not work for Bella I will wear the thunder coat and take the rescue remedy and everything else....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #2

Re: Bl**dy fireworks

Oh bless her and you. Isn't it strange how some dogs are so scared ans others don't flinch. Massive booms here all night and Ranger hasn't been affected at all, he's actually been out in the garden watching them. The cats aren't bothered either.

I hope the thunder coat etc work for her. Such a shame about the cottage too, is there no one you know who could use it instead x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #3

Hope she's ok, we turn the tv up close the curtains and and act normally

I can sympathise though as Amber petrified of loud noises bands etc and nothing consoles her

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

I totally agree .......... BL**DY FIREWORKS

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Oh what. a shame about the cottage,its what you call sods law.Hope the shirt helps.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
03-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

Ellen hates them to so this year I got some diazepam from the vets for her and she is much better and a bit doppy but I think it is worth it for her not to be pacing and distressed.
I did try xanax as welll but that didn't seem to have any effect on her.
She has also got a DAP collar on and a den under the table in my lounge.

Also I find loading a kong up with yummy treat and gving her that help out as well as it distracts her.

I would also turn up my tv but I have got a very thin joining wall and a nasty neighbour.

Anyway it might be worth asking the vets if they can prescribe somethign for Bella. I haven't before now as I have just muddled along but though this year I would see if meds helped her and they have. She is fine and pretty much bomb proof with everythign else she just jhates the firework and get in a state with them.
She isn't to keen on thunder sorms but they seem to pass by reasonable quickly so she is OK.

I must admit I am turning into the fireworks grinch as it hardly seem fair to stress out so many people and pets. Especially as there are veyr good quite fireworks.

Hope Bella is OK and hugs to both of you.
Sally and Ellen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

Such a shame that the cottage was within the noise distance of the shooting range
Is there a chance you can get refunded, even if partial, if you write and explain the reasons for your early departure. You never know, the owner may be a dog lover and completely understand the problem!

We know by now the thundershirt and drops worked for the fireworks but it's a shame that your Welsh break was cut short Karen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks all.
Tilly I am going to carry on with the thundershirt etc and see how we go. Hope and pleased you have found a solution.

I will survive PP to be honest the only reason for it was Bella but maybe she is better in surroundings she knows and feels safe in - I did actually wonder if she thought we were taking her somewhere to leave her when we arrived as she has been moved around so much.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
04-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

Poor girl, my Gyp is very noise phobic, I start giving her Skullcap & Valerium about a week before th fireworks strtand they really help....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

Just had Maggie & Heidi out for their evenign walk, so proud of the pup, both her and Maggie stood and watched the fireworks, no bad reaction from them...Gyp was at home sound asleep...