Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 DSH
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #11

Re: Breeding from moggies..intentional or oops litters

I'd like to think that I'm a responsible cat owner, all of my cats apart from George & Candy because they are too young yet have all been neutered or speyed. I don't bring cats into my house with the intention of breeding from them. In my opinion there are far too many unwanted cats & kittens not just in this country but all over the world. Domino, Tigger & Shadow were all neutered/speyed as soon as they hit the 6 month age. When Peppa came to us she was 11 months old & had already a litter before I took her in. The day she arrived at my house I was straight on the phone to my vet to book her in & I'm so glad I was on the ball because the night before her operation she came to season, so I got her speyed just in time.

The same will happen with George & Candy, as soon as they are old enough they will be done too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
12-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #12

Yes accidents can and do happen. I'm talking more along the intentional breeding of moggies because your friend likes your cat and would like one the same. That kind of thing. Again it does happen but it seem's that it's ok for some but not others.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #13

Having worked as a volunteer in a rescue centre and seen for myself the results of intentional or 'accidental' litters, I am completely against it. In very exceptional circumstances only, accidents happen, in most cases it is preventable if cats are neutered at the appropriate age. Unless you keep the kittens yourself it is not always possible to guarantee good homes, as a recent case here on Catsey proved, when the kitten herself was allowed to have kittens.

I also think there are far too many 'acidental' litters reported here on Catsey and this makes me angry. I don't think it matters how many times this topic is discussed, if it makes one person think twice then it is worth it. However for the record, I know that many of us here on Catsey are against breeding of moggies, but we have new members regularly.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #14

I agree 100% Kim.

I was in P&H the other day. There were two Accidental litters on the board From the same person, different cats and they wanted £150 per kitten. Two litters of 5 kittens X £150 now that's some accident

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #15

Thats no accident, we have people up here who breed moggies because someone wants a certain colour....then charges the earth for them!!

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Thats no accident, we have people up here who breed moggies because someone wants a certain colour....then charges the earth for them!!
Haha Ive heard that one before too. They justify it though with the cost of food, litter ect. Just back yard breeders.. no exuses and greedy.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #17

What surprises me is how many people don`t realise, [ presumably because their vets don`t tell them ], that queens can be spayed at 3 months of age.
So many people wait until 6 months but of course many kittens can get pregnant at 5 months and bang, it happens, accidental litter from a kitten who is still such a baby herself
Having been involved in the past in feral round-ups and doing the post-op care and re-release for kittens and adults I know from experience that they are absolutely fine when done at that age and any of the the kittens I adopted myself over the years, [ including ferals and occasionally kittens I initially fostered with their mother`s who had been dumped for getting pregnant - in those cases I adopted the mothers too ], I have had the young`uns spayed at three months because I know there is simply no need to wait longer than that, [ any existing health issues aside obviously, same as any cat having a GA ] - but how many people generally speaking are aware of it or are not hung up on the old six month landmark which was never about maturity from a medical standpoint but simply an easy-to-remember guideline ?

I`m sure if there were more education out there about it so many accidental litters from baby-queens would`nt happen through people just not knowing their kitten can get pregnant at only five months of age herself

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
12-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #18

I'm sure I've read somewhere that boys neutered too early can get urinary tract problems...... anyone else heard that??

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #19

Cant say I have. Would be interested to know though. My vet wont touch a boy under 8 months.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 DSH
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyshandy
I'm sure I've read somewhere that boys neutered too early can get urinary tract problems...... anyone else heard that??
I've heard that too.

My vet won't neutered under the age of 6 months & none of my queens have ever come into season before then.

Closed Thread