Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
20-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #1

Trouble after neutering.

The last two days have been hellish for my Dickens. He was the only one of Miracle's babies to remain unneutered as he has a heart murmur and my vet was waiting for him to get a bit bigger. I had him neutered on Thursday, a procedure which should have been straight forward.When the vet began the procedure she discovered that poor Dickens was not built like other male cats and she had to cut him open to locate the necessary bits.If that wasn't bad enough, all his baby teeth had to be removed as they hadn't fallen out and he had two sets of teeth.He was closely monitored during the whole procedure due to his heart condition.Dickens is full of stitches now and seemed unable to wee in his litter box. Finally this morning he was successful.He has pain relief regularly but is very miserable.Has anyone else experienced any trouble with their cats after neutering? I'm just curious as none of my other cats had any problems. He will be seeing the vet again on Monday morning.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Re: Trouble after neutering.

Poor baby. He's really been through the wars hasn't he! And a bit of shock to you how much needed doing I expect too! I've not had experience on the post neutering front as all of mine were rescues and neutered before they came to me.

Neuterings are rarely traumatic experiences, but in Dickens case it sounds like the surgery he needed may have left him a bit sore, at both ends! Also some forms of pain relief may make a cat depressed, short term. It's horrible to see our babies in pain and sad, makes us love them all the more and get upset ourselves when they're poorly! Lots of rest and gentle tlc, he is over the worst bit and came through the anaesthetic so that's one less worry, as long as he is weeing and drinking that's good, and you're seeing the vet Monday, let him rest and keep vigilant. Any doubts, ring your vet, some are open Sat mornings. Gentle hugs to the little man from me and Chesi.

As a footnote, my boy also has a heart murmer and is 'special needs', when he had an op I was prepared with a homeopathic remedy for post operative distress and healing, and would not hesitate to use it on any cat who has surgery. You might want to explore this avenue for future reference.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...393#post655393

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Re: Trouble after neutering.

Poor little lad. I have nothing further to offer by way of advise I'm afraid but send loads of healing vibes for Dickens.