Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Nylabones?

Any thoughts about these products for dogs? The name sort of puts me off, nyla - nylon.

They seem to be recommended on the Schnauzer forum I belong to. I asked about safe good puppy chews - can anyone recommend anything particular?

(I do remember there was a post about antlers a short while ago.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Re: Nylabones?

i think my mum had one of these for ty, he usually demolishes toys within days but i think this lasted a good while. the other thing he didnt ruin for a while was his kong. nothing else jumps out at me he's had so many, check out the pound shops aswell, usually some decent ones about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Not quite a chew - but the rope ones seem quite good... Parents had a beardy colley when I was growing up, and I seem to remember a lot of fun being had by all...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

Morgan still has a couple of nylabones even though he prefers the antlers these days. You can get special puppy ones that aren't as hard as the grown-up ones. Some people I know don't like nylabones at all, they're concerned about the fact that the dogs are chewing on and swallowing (albeit in very, very tiny amounts) a substance that is after all "alien" to a dog's diet.

I've never given our dogs chews made of cow-hide or similar, there are concerns over the sourcing I believe, products coming from Far Eastern countries, not knowing exactly what the hide is or how it has been processed. And some of them are highly coloured too, Morgan was given a packet of bright red and green ones for Christmas by a well-meaning friend but they got binned, there was no information about what colourings had been used. Seemed a bit dodgy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Angie I think you will find you want to give him something to chew on for he will be testing his teeth out......I never gave nyalabone mostly because I have a Stafford (strong jawed) Sal and all mine have had though, raggers, and kongs. If I did not have such strong breed (jaw wise) I would give a nylabone. I donot think Monty will manage to gnaw through it enough but it will help. I found puppy kongs work and you can fill the inside with things and while teething you could try freezing them so they have something nice a cold inside for hot little gums. I am sure last time I was in pet at home I saw puppy teething ring sort of things that you could freeze (excellent for teething) you will find somewhere between I think from memory 10 weeks/3 months and about 8 months they are teething adn you want to give them something would not recomend leaving a pup with a ragger unsupervised over night as they may just may manage to pull bits off and swallow them. Rare but you never know, adna ragger is a good toy to play a little tug game with, and learn at the same time to "leave" when told.
Sorry went off track, try a nylabone and or a dental rask ideal to puppy gnawing.

See I give nothing that is coloured (to chew or eat)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
05-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

I bin those red & green chew things too

Ask your butcher for a small shin bone (explain what type of puppy you have) - scoop out the marrow with a spoon as sometimes when young the marrow can upset them (dont cook the bone) it will last a brave while. All natural & helps
exercise teeth & gums.

Ours were never interested in Nylabones

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

this is gonna sound disgusting haha, but when ty was still under a year old, there was bits of rope in his poop so yes, take them away at night!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

He does have two puppy kongs (1 of which is currently lost!) but they are a wee bit too big for him. He also has the raggy toy but as you advise we have never left him unsupervised with this as bits do come off. Use it as a tugging toy though.

I will look at nylabone and avoid all obviously highly coloured things. Someone mentioned dried cows ears .......... ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

Darcy has nylabones and she likes them but they're not the all time favourite. I have however, had to take them away from Erin a couple of times!
She did like the puppy kong dental stick though,we've replaced it with the adult version now and it's still a top choice!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #10

Both mine love nylabones, particularly the bacon flavoured one. We got Kwame puppy ones but big sis malaika takes them off him.
The breeder told us never to give bones although with past dogs we always have. From what i understand Raw rib bones are ok but any weight bearing bones can cause tooth fractures. I feel so unsure that we don't give them.
We do use rawhide under close supervision but don't buy the ones made in china.
Malaika used to enjoy a raw carrot and they both enjoy brocoli stems.