Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
26-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Messing in the House

Its been a while since I posted... long story... but am back now and my first post is a problem I hope someone can help me with....

You may remember Chloe and Misty... Chloe has had some problems using a litter tray that Misty uses... the more trays I put down the more problems I have as Misty uses them all and then Chloe has problems with that.... anyway...

I finally managed to get Misty to understand a catflap after four years... and moved the litter tray to outside as it was such a mess .. with litter all over the floor plus I thought that if it was not up to Chloe's standards she would be outside and just go out there (as she tends to do anyway).

Well, we have success with Misty who is now 100% pooping outside in my garden (which is the plan - they dont go over to the neighbours gardens as they have rottweillers etc). Chloe goes outside 90% of thetime, but occassionally has started to use my coir matting by the front door... first weeing and now a poop....

She tends to do it indoors if it is raining outside or cold and she doesnt want to go out.. but last night she was out for ages and then came in to poop...

I dont want to bring the tray back in, but how do I get Chloe to go outside 100% of the time?

Many thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #2

Re: Messing in the House

I have heard of alot of cat choosing a coir mat to do their business on, I think it's because of the feel of the mat itself and that the cat is attracted to it. I dont really know what to suggest other than removing the coir mat and replacing it with something less appealing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
26-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I have heard of alot of cat choosing a coir mat to do their business on, I think it's because of the feel of the mat itself and that the cat is attracted to it. I dont really know what to suggest other than removing the coir mat and replacing it with something less appealing.
Thats the only suggestion that I can think of, hopefully things should get better as the weather gets warmer if she doesn`t like going out when its cold.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #4

I'd give that a try also, might work.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

Hi Donna

I had a cat who was a clean house cat but would 'go' on any natural fabric mats - coir, grass etc. As soon as I reverted to wool type rugs he was fine. Even after a break of a few years as soon as I introduced another grass type mat off he went again.

May be that is not your cats problem but worth a try.