Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
25-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

problems with new cat

Hi everyone, i got a new kitten who is approx 7 months old about 5 weeks ago. He has started going to the toilet around the house despite being litter trained and the litter is always clean. He was fine for the first few weeks but has only started doing this in the last week! please help i just dont know what to do!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Re: problems with new cat

Has he been neutered??

Catsey Junior

25-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

yes he has. he is weeing in the litter but it seems that he is just pooing all over the house and it has only just started! the litter is still the same etc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
25-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddKat
Hi everyone, i got a new kitten who is approx 7 months old about 5 weeks ago. He has started going to the toilet around the house despite being litter trained and the litter is always clean. He was fine for the first few weeks but has only started doing this in the last week! please help i just dont know what to do!

Ive just come on here to post a thread asking about this, my boyfriends kitten is 6 months old and he's been going behind the settee for his number 2 , but only when my bf is at work, the rest of the time he'll do it in his tray!

He has done it b4 behind the settee but its been in the last week that he's done it nearly everyday there. My bf is going ape!

Catsey Junior

25-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

yes my cat does a very similar thing and my boyfriend goes mad too! but it seems like he does it every morning when i get up which is strange! does anyone have any solutions?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #6

Is the brand of cat litter different to what the cat used in it's last home? Have you recently changed the brand of litter? How many litter trays do you have? The rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat plus one, many cats dont like to pee and poo in the same place.
Sometimes experimanting with different litters can help, sometimes the positioning of the litter box is the issue. There can be many reasons as to why a cat may do this and i only hope you can resolve it sooner than I managed with my Eva, she is a one in a million cat and it's only taken me almost 5 years to resolve this issue with her through reiki therapy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #7

My boy Jason had a phase when he did this. He used to wee in the litter but poo on the floor near to where the tray was. We eventually decided that it was because he would only poo in a clean litter tray so we were forever changing litter. He then learned to do it outside in the garden and now only rarely uses the litter tray at all, still only for wees though if he gets caught short during the night when the cat-flap is locked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
26-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #8

I have also read somwhere as well that some cats do not like to wee and poop in the same litter tray, it might be worth getting an extra one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #9

Is he stressed? A strange cat handing around? New addition or changes in the household? You might try a Feliway diffuser if you think it may be a stress problem.
Good luck, this seems to be a complex problem with many cats, and hard to find the reason or solution.