Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

Holiday scams.

Just before you book an holiday make sure your getting what they say you are. Here's why.

I booked a fully inclusive holiday at the end of last year for Mum, Darryle, Ceilidh and self.
When I booked it I was told I was lucky as Ceilidh has got a free childs place and they normaslly dont do them for kids in fully inclusive holidays, secondly I had free insurance. At that point mum said that's good as it was something I would need but she was covered by a year policy she had.
I paid the deposit and that was that.
Second part of the holiday was to be paid in Feb, by which time my medication had been changed and I'm not allowed to go into extreem climate changes so the holiday was out. Teneriff in June. I went into the holiday place and was told I could cancell the holiday but would loose my first £75 per person. I could "bank" the rest of the money towards another holiday if I wished. Great I would do that towards disney land paris. No you cant thats a City break. Right, we decided that my Mum would take the hol and get her friends to go. That wouldn't work either as they would have to pay £50 per person for name changes ontop of the £75 per person cancellation.
Right I decided to go for the insurance and claim back under medical grounds.......Guess what? because I didnt state I had problems with my back (when I booked I was walking with a crutch) I dont get anything back as it was a complaint I already had. Oh and that £75 per person goes for Ceilidh as well. How can that be when she had a so called free place? I'm going to take it further.

Also Gordon and his wife had booked for Australia for there 25 aniversary. They were going to variouse diffrent parts then they found the secondery tumer last year. Now because Gordon hadnt stated he had had cancer in the past they lost all there money. Bearing in mind he had been given the all clear a year earlier before they booked.

Just watch what you book and even if you have an infected big toe tell them. That's all I can suggest.

Sorry it's so long.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #2

Re: Holiday scams.

It's a real con isn't it Jac? They are fine while they are taking your money but can you ever get any back if you need to cancel??

What did you do about your holiday in the end Jac?

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

I have given up. They cant answer half my questions. Like if it's a free child place how come I loose £75 for the free child place. I may look into it a bit further. It's been going on since Feb now and I'm just really hacked off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
I have given up. They cant answer half my questions. Like if it's a free child place how come I loose £75 for the free child place. I may look into it a bit further. It's been going on since Feb now and I'm just really hacked off.
Keep going with it Jac, don't let them get away with this

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #5

I probably will get the bit between my teeth again at some point.
Really I just wanted people to be aware that what you pay for is not always what you get.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

What a con!! Dont give up fighting to get your money back!!

In some ways I am glad I cant afford a holiday as there are always problems!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #7

You really have to read the small print very
carefully these days, especially with the insurance.

My hubby injured his leg on holiday in '05 and the insurance paid out for all the costs and expenses then. We went back to the same country last year but the same Insurance Co. wouldn't insure him this time because he was still registered with the hospital for ongoing treatment Fortunately we found another company who would.

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #8

It just goes to show eh Mags? I remember when Mr Mags hurt his leg.
I havent had a holiday abroad for over 20 years and was really looking forward to it . Now it's just hastle, hastle hastle

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #9

I could answer any questions on this you like jac,unfortunatly with the insurance situation what they are saying is true,but when you booked the holiday the travel agent or who ever you booked it with should have advised you to call the insurance with any pre-existing illnesses or conditions so i would question this.
free childrens places....yes i remember these and had many problems with them.the 75pound deposit you paid had the holiday been paid in full and taken by yourselves would have come off the total cost of your holiday so you wouldnt have been paying for the child,unfortunatly it the tour opoerators conditions this deposit is still non refundable if the holiday is cancelled,even though the child would have been traveling for free,its very very wrong.But what is making me angry reading this is the problem you are having with the insurance,if you had been advised correctly at the time of booking you would have been able to claim all of your money back.
take it futher re the ins,put a complaint in writing,agents dont usually deal with verbal complaints.
good luck and i really hope you get it sorted,ask me any questions you like

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #10

Thanks. My family say I should take it further as when we booked it I wasnt given an option re insurance. I was just told I got it free.
I had only paid the deposit. Nearly £700. Nothing was explained, cancellation, insurance nothing. What I do keep getting is the manager may be able to do something but when I go in she isnt there, nor does she phone when she say's she will