Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

11-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #1

Weight!

Does anybody know the ideal weight for a male british shorthaired cat that has been neutered?

Thank you

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #2

Re: Weight!

Sorry can't help you there Abbi.....but my previous cat was a ginger tom moggy and he was huge and quite a weight!

Is it Archie putting on weight?

Catsey Veteran

11-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #3

Yes he is 17LBS!! Amber is only 11LBS and Daisy is 7LBS - they are fed dry Hills Science Plan which I know can make them put on weight - I am reducing some of his food - only giving him what is says on the back of the food container.

He is sue for his injections in December so I am going to speak to the vet, I dont think it helps that he is an indoor cat!

I am just concerned I dont want him haivng heart problems because I have overfed him.

Abbi x

Global Moderator

11-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #4

Wow he's a big boy now! As you say, being an indoor cat doesn't help....is he very playful about the house?

I must admit I was alot at fault with Sam's weight, he only had to look at me and I'd give him food whatever the time! Also I used to give him three main meals a day (with treats in between) whereas I only feed Cassie twice a day.

It'll be interesting to see what the vet has to say about Archie's weight as I've no idea what a normal weight for a cat should be. Keep me posted Abbi

Mags
x

Catsey Veteran

12-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #5

I got my regualr cat magazine last night when I got home and I was really happy to see two articles in there regarding cat weight and he is ok at 17LB but is at the top end of th scale and really should not put on any more. He is quite active has a mad half hour every now and then, but even I notice that he is more out of breath that Amber. Just a chunky boy, very cute with it too!

Abbi x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
12-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #6

You must be so relieved Abbi to learn that his weights okay

Catsey Veteran

12-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #7

Yeah I am Naomi, just need to keep an eye on him, that he does not get any bigger, he is sooooo heavy to lift up!

Will really try my best to get some pics on here!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
12-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #8

I would go by how he looks, if he 'looks' fat then chances are he is, if he doesn't then he is probably just big boned

Global Moderator

12-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #9

Sounds as though he could be ok then Abbi. When you think of it, some overweight cats look really fat don't they and if you only wondered about his weight when you picked him up, not by how he looked, it sounds as though he's fine.

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #10

He does look chunky - but I dont think I have as much of a problem as I thought I did.

Will try and do pics tomorrow!!!