Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby
18-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #11

Re: Cats For Sale At Pets At Home

Is this right? The RSPCA put healthy animals down? I hope not!! To be quite honest though, we got Beth from the RSPCA and the history we got with her was nil which made it really hard when trying to settle her in. It's sad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
18-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #12

unfortunately it is true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-healthy.html

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
19-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #13

I am sad to say Lunz is right. I have no time for the RSPCA at all in any of there dealings. Time and again I have come across Area Inspectors who have no idea let alone ordinary staff. They are too busy prosecuting easy targets instead of getting rid of puppy and kitten farms. Think how much your average Rescue Centre Manager is on and compare that to RSPCA officers in a similar position. Nuff said.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
19-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #14

Speaking of the RSPCA, I, too ,don't have a lot of time for them.Many years ago, when I was a struggling student at uni, I was working at night in a rest home to make a bit of money. I uplifted......oops, "rescued" a young German Shepherd pup from a run down old house next to the rest home, that was chained and beaten. I witnessed this terrible abuse from the rest home window every evening. Unfortunately I couldn't keep the dog as I was in a student flat and no pets were allowed.I boarded the traumatised young dog at the RSPCA while trying to find him a good home. I paid for the dog's board in advance for a month and told them the full story.I was furious when I went back the following week to find that a guy had come in and wanted the dog and they had given it to him. I had specifically told them that the dog was only boarding with them for a month, the money was all paid up and they flatly refused to tell me where the dog had gone. They never even offered to refund the extra money that I had paid.To this day, I think about that beautiful dog who was so cowered down and afraid. I had managed to find him an excellent home as well, but got no apology from the RSPCA.I can only hope and pray that he got a kind and understanding home.

Catsey Senior

24-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #15

OH just read an article by Mike Jessop, past President of the British Small Animal Veterinary Association and he is totally against the P@H collaboration with the animal charities to 'sell' cats in stores. He say, and I agree, that cats become depressed if they spend too long in pens. That's why The Ark at Ashbourne let all their cats have access to outside gardens, the office and Roger's Room,
(their lounge). They also have lots of interaction with people IF THAT'S WHAT THE CATS WANT. If they want to keep quiet and stay away from stressful situations they can. The cats at P@H WILL HAVE NO CHOICE.

Catsey Senior

24-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #16

I am a great believer in letting cats do what they want within reason. If they don't like being picked up I don't pick them up. If they don't want to be stroked I don't stroke them. If they want to sleep somewhere quiet I don't disturb them. I don't make my cats do what I want just to please me. If any of my cats want a fuss or a stroke they will get all the attention they want, other than that I leave them alone. I had a small she cat called Priddy who hated being picked up. I had her for 13 years and the only time she was picked up was to be wormed or flead. She loved being stroked but only with one hand, so that's what I did. Why frighten her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
26-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #17

I am really against putting rescue animal in a store to be bought. It's taken a long time to stop puppies and kittens being sold in stores, most rescues would like to see no animal being sold so that people cannot impulse buy, I see this as a step backwards. P@H are only in it for the money, they are a business after all.

I think you need to be very aware as to what classifies as a healthy animal- to some it means an animal with no health issues, to some it means an animal with treatable issues and to some it means an animal with long term issues but can still have a quality of life ( ie, a renal cat!)
In a way I can understand PTS in rescues, people do not want old or ill animals, rescues can then get 'clogged up' and become sanctuaries because they have no spaces free to take in any more animals.
The people to blame for animals being PTS or stray are not he rescues, it's those who breed and/or dump them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
I am really against putting rescue animal in a store to be bought. It's taken a long time to stop puppies and kittens being sold in stores, most rescues would like to see no animal being sold so that people cannot impulse buy, I see this as a step backwards. P@H are only in it for the money, they are a business after all.

I think you need to be very aware as to what classifies as a healthy animal- to some it means an animal with no health issues, to some it means an animal with treatable issues and to some it means an animal with long term issues but can still have a quality of life ( ie, a renal cat!)
In a way I can understand PTS in rescues, people do not want old or ill animals, rescues can then get 'clogged up' and become sanctuaries because they have no spaces free to take in any more animals.
The people to blame for animals being PTS or stray are not he rescues, it's those who breed and/or dump them.
Good post

And those who dont or wont spay/neuter.

As for the poster who said about no history with her kitty - many many times Rescues dont get any history. A stray cat has no history, dumped cats have not got history.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
04-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #19

I don't go to P@H either because they seem to be uncaring and clueless, for example the one time I went in there one of the store assistants tried to sell me some cat food when I told them that it was the exact brand Dylan (the cat I had at the time) was allergic to

P@H are enough said.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #20

I think to be fair to P@H, here is a link to their response to the criticism they have received .....................

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...arity-response

Here are a couple of extracts .......... please go to the link to find the whole story ...

"We’d like to reassure any concerned customers or animal lovers that we absolutely do not sell any rescue cats and dogs, nor do we make any money from any of our rehoming charity partnerships."

"We offer store space free of charge to certain charities to allow then to carry out their much needed re-homing work. These centres are manned full time by the charities who are experienced and fully qualified when rehoming animals in their care. We are confident that they would only allow animals to be passed on to responsible and committed new owners."