Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
16-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #41

Re: split thread , kitten prices

I love Coons too - they are so HUGE!
I say yes to pix too please Nat

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #42

Big do they get?

Are yours big Natalie?

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #43

Sorry!

Did not mean how that sounded Natalie

I meant are your maine coons big!!!!

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #44

Sue ....coons are big cats

WE want piccys xxx

I hope your girl has taken Nat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
16-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #45

@ belladiablo

MC are big i think the only breed bigger then them are NF. males can get really big (over 20lbs) but should never look fat
my kitten is now 7 months old she is about 10 lbs my older girl is about 18 lbs. they are very long in the body with great big tailes (they are know as the tail with the cat)

if she catched this time there will be lost of pic and please evey 1 keep there fingers crossed for a silver tabbie girl

Catsey Senior

17-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #46

That is so cool!

Lovely big cats!

I have everything crossed for you And certainly hope for lovely babies

Then you can share piccies!!!!! Which everyone seems excited about!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
17-07-2005, 05:53 AM   #47

well i have just read this and to say the least im surprised by some comments.THERE is no comparison cats v dogs.
Both have there expenses and are difficult!
As to cost of breeding and kitten price a lot depends on the breed as to what expenses are incurred and the difficulty rearing.
I breed Persians and they are all DNA tested for PKD,Luekemia,Clamida.Hearts are also tested and Pancreases .Do you think this is cheap! C sections are also very common in Persians although i have to say ive been very lucky.
Ive had pups to and they are as much work as kittens.
Just remember that puppies go when they are 8 weeks old where kittens dont go to a minium of 14 weeks and are fully vaccinated!

If its done properly it will cost and as to making money well there is no money.One comment i found very insulting was that its presumed our cats are bred more then once a year,well mine aint .

I dont know about Labs but as a show person of dogs and i have shown quite a few breeds in my time ,the price of a show quality pup will be higher then a pet quality well they are in the breeds i deal with and im sure there are lots the same.You also must be very lucky being able to pay for studs (champion v non champion) as i know that we have to pay through the nose to use a Champion dog.As i said at the begining it all depends on the breed.
However i dont understand anyone wanting to pay the £10000s they pay for some of these breeds.
If you dont like the price then the simple answer is dont buy !

22-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #48

Well I've also been surprised at some of the comments and don't see how anyone can even compare dog breeding to cat breeding anyway. I breed cats, my dad use to breed dogs and I fail to see any comparison. I personally do not charge any more for a show quality kitten, than I do a pet kitten because regardless of "type", ALL my kittens are raised the same way, with love and care, and the best quality foods/litter etc. that I can buy. Not once has anyone ever quibbled the cost of one of my kittens because they know that my babies (like many other breeders) are raised properly. And I do not think they are expensive when you consider we are monitoring our babies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and what we charge is very little, particularly as a normal person wouldn't dream of working in any type of employment, putting in 24/7 hours and then accept being paid what we are being paid what we are in kitten prices. Flippin' heck, by the time I add up my vet bills, food, litter, toys, show entries, stud housing, extra electricity for heating the boy's houses, registration fees, travelling costs, phone calls, extra bleach/cleaning products etc. and there is more than I can't even remember. I think any breeder, who is a decent breeder, is normally running at a loss and whenever/if any profit is made, it all goes straight back into the cats. As a future Sokoke breeder myself, I don't have a problem with the set prices that breeders will be charging for kittens, because I am aware of the cost involved in starting a future breeding program for them in the first place. No one forces kitten buyers to buy our kittens, they either do or they don't.

Catsey Senior

22-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #49

I must admit, you have named many things I had forgotten! Just this morning have used the last of the air freshener, I buy industrial ones, so will have to look to see if there are any on ebay! Also ran out of bin bags again, once more, have to use the really strong ones, as cat litter is heavy! It is all these things that really do add up!

Suexxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #50

There's no denying it...animals are expensive...