Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
16-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #21

Re: split thread , kitten prices

hi PK i would agree with you and say pup are harder work and cost more to bring to 8 weeks, that would be if you kept the littens for only 8 weeks, remeber that kittens are not sold until they are 13/14 weeks old and had both sets of jabs. i was shocked to find out that a breeding queen was more then a pet to buy as in pups all are the same price but i can now see why this is done.

and iam not having a go but did you not say that you paid a pritty penni for your blue kitten although he is just a moggie and you got him at about 7 weeks with no jabs

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #22

Just a few little pointers to bear in mind.

We have been breeding for nearly seven years now. we bred British shorthair and Bengals at the start but moved into Bengals alone to dedicate all of our experience into the breed.

As far as making money is concerened, WE DONT, we have been within 3 days of bankruptcy twice now, this is due to the high cost of stock, feeding, vets fees, medication, vaccinations, cat litter, etc,etc,etc,etc.

I refuse to enter a debate with anyone regarding Bengal prices, except to add, we dont charge any more for a breeding girl or boy than we do for a show quality girl or boy.

Our pet babies are a lot cheaper but carry a contract to protect what we have worked hard for and spent a LOT of money buying.

All of our Bengals are our pets as much as our Breeding stock, we prefer all of our babies to go to pet homes, SO WHAT if we dont make any money out it, our aim is to forward the breed and give our babies the best homes they can have.

In recent months a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon of buying pet bengals and breeding them to sell the babies on unregistered for a much lower price, THEIR aim is to make as much money as fast as possible NOT better the breed.

I didnt join this forum to advertise my babies, my kitten sales come from 99% word of mouth not advertising, we are a well established and respected breeder , raising very well adjusted babies not a walking breathing fund raiser.

We have paid all sorts of prices for our Bengals and come across all sorts of restrictions, the prices are high in our opinion to prevent the exploitation of the Bengal breed, if you have never owned or spent time with a Bengal then you are missing out on something special, the look of the wild, the temperment of a baby, and a inteligence higher than yours or OURS.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #23

Since Azz - the administrator has requested that this debate be moved to the debate section I think it unfair to continue with this thread. If you wish to debate this further then I think that is what you should do. I have said all I have to say about this and still stand by everything said by me so far. Just to reply to you Nat....I did pay a higher price for Clooney as grey Moggies are much rarer than other colours BUT it was absolutely no where near the price of the cheapest of these Bengals (he was actually nearer nine weeks old Nat). I do not agree with him being sold for more money just because he is grey and my mission at the minute is to address this problem Regarding my puppies. Mine all go having had their first jabs and second is paid for......
If you wish to debate further, please respect Azz's request and move the thread to the debate section....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #24

Thanks Azz

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
16-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #25

lol u got here b4 me! :lol

This topic has been split and moved to debates.

But don't forget please be NICE and don't let things get personal, or else!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #26

The Boss has spoken!

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #27

You have had your say PK, but in my opinion breeding moggie cats, is very different from pedigree cats!

With my first two litters, I had one cat with a paralysed bladder, who had to go to the vets daily, this treatment, and no as I had only had her a little while before her kittens came, cost me nearly £1000. The second litter the mum had mastitis, and had to have treatment for this! The cat who had suffered the paralysed bladder, I had spayed, and is now in a lovely pet home! She cost me £1200. I got no money for her!

While I have not needed a c section for my cats, EVERY other breeder I talk to has!

I also know, a couple of breeders who have had their kittens eaten by the queen! An unsettled queen will do this rather than raise a litter if they are stressed for ANY reason!

My Bengal crosses are easy peasy to wean, and usually take me half a day!

Bengals, can take weeks, and in the meantime, get ill from lack of food!

I also have to worm and de-flea, every month, in the warm season, it will cost me over £100 for this alone!

The difference in food and litter for the extra weeks you keep a kitten is amazing, the youngest you can vaccinate a kitten is 9 weeks, you then have to wait three weeks for the next, and then a good few days after that. If the kitten has a bad reaction to the vaccine, then it could take even longer for the kitten to be ready for a new home!

I now have a queen showing signs of pyo, luckily she is with an excellent breeder, who has many years experience, and will hopefully be able to save her life! Yes pyo can kill, which is why a Bengal queen should not be left for too long between calls! She may never have babies again though, and considering she lost all her first litter due to them arriving preemie! I struggled to hand rear them, having no handy foster mum, but lost them all in the first week! This will be yet another blow!

I feel it really unfair, that you are trying to judge on your experience with moggie cats, which in no way is the same as a pedigree!
I would not even dream of telling you how to raise your puppies, and what price to charge! If you breed at a loss, as I have already said, then that is your right!

Having not been able to pay the mortgage this month, I too make a loss! I would hope though, that soon I make enough money, to convert my garage into a lovely 'stud pad'. I would also like to not have to worry about the next unexpected vet bill, and maybe even afford to insure them properly!!!

I had to make the choice between the mortgage and a sick kitten, I wonder if you can guess what I did!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #28

I have just read the whole of this thread with great interest & I can appreciate where everyone is coming from. I don't really want to get deeply involved in this debate, but having bred dogs & cats just wanted to say in my experience what the difference is.
Firstly I have bred many litters of cats and dogs - (my reasons for breeding most of them are different to most peoples on here, but it does not really matter why I am breeding them) - It is definately without doubt a lot, lot more work rearing puppies than kittens. They are so much more demanding & do need a lot more attention.

Please don't think I am siding with anyone here & I don't want to get into the whole"cost" issue (as I said I have puppies & kittens for different reasons than most) and also don't think that I am saying puppies are better creatures than cats. I love my cats/dogs the same - I just think puppies are by far more time consuming.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
16-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Kitty
Just to reply to you Nat....I did pay a higher price for Clooney as grey Moggies are much rarer than other colours BUT it was absolutely no where near the price of the cheapest of these Bengals (he was actually nearer nine weeks old Nat). I do not agree with him being sold for more money just because he is grey and my mission at the minute is to address this problem Regarding my puppies. Mine all go having had their first jabs and second is paid for......
If you wish to debate further, please respect Azz's request and move the thread to the debate section....
hi PK first off i was not having a go i hope i have not offended you if i have then sorry,
you say that yu paid a higher price for Clooney as greys/blues are rarer, well how can you do that but say other prices are high, i bet you paid more for him then his litter mates (if they where diffrent colours). you have also said that you would breed your 2 gerys together cos there are ppl out there looking for them, how is that diffrent to what breeders do?
Bengals first had to be imported that why they started off with a high price, the first breeders to sell there kittens sold them for a lot as they had to spend a lot to get started that is why the price is high
with other breeds its the same as with dogs, i am hoping to breed my Maine coons i have to put the same amount of work in to finding a stud as i did when i bred my Staff, they also need health tests like HC (that costs a lot)

Catsey Senior

16-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #30

I hope you do really well with your maine coons! I really admire the breed, and think they are fab!
The kittens should be sooo sweet and furry and cuddly, would love to see pics as soon as you have any!!!!!

Suexxx