Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 English Moggies
23-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #11

Re: Why do people mis understand animals?

So many people just go out and buy a pet without giving it the time and thought as to what it will mean to their lives. They see a well behaved dog being walked down the street and think it looks easy.
What they dont see is time of training and walking and money and feeding and chewing and messing and hair and the list is endless of whats involved, they go into it blinkered.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
23-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #12

simular thing with my collie cross rocky 3 owners had him n took him back because he was hyper n not house trained he is the best dog in the world! goes to the door if he needs his business calms down on comand it just takes time!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #13

I would never have a dog as I do not know how to train them, or know anything about any breed. I am rather nervous around dogs so thats why I have cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
23-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #14

I hate it when this happens, stupid ppl not knowing what they are getting into, and it's always the animal that suffers. Like when ppl buy snakes that get too big, or give up on pups because they expect them to magically housetrain themselves.

Whenever my dog Maddy (weimaraner) is out, she barks a lot, she is still only a pup really (10months) but a lot of ppl are scared of her (she is a pretty big dog and has a loud bark).

People who know about weimies are always saying, "oh mines exactly the same", I guess I can't expect everyone she encounters to understand her, but I think too many people now don't bother to learn much about dogs in general before buying one, never mind the specific breed.

How often has anyone heard a dog bark? And how often has that bark ment "run for cover i'm coming to eat you"?

My best friend stays in a little village in Glasgow, and he lives on a farm and he walks his 2 rotties there in the fields, because he says if he takes them round the villiage, most of the ppl are so naive the tend to gather up their children, and turn the opposite direction!

Catsey Senior

23-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
How often has anyone heard a dog bark? And how often has that bark ment "run for cover i'm coming to eat you"?
rocky barks either when someone is coming to the door early warning system!
Or when I play fetch and I hide his toys he barks as if to say if you dont give me that toy am going to pound on you with my paws and he does!

Rocky is great he will NEVER take food from you hand and he is so gentle with kids when they come over and play fetch with him he like to tug on the toy but does it so gently he is so lovely!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
25-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #16

I think it can be worse when people get a dog and don't understand them than a cat - esp when they get the larger breeds. My neighbour knew that she shouldn't get a dog when she lost hers last year due to work, then fell in love with a rescue dog - he is 38kg with aggression and separation issues and she works too many hours to try and re-train him (or just doesn't bother, not sure which) - the poor dog gets walked by an assortment of people, all with their own ways of dealing with him - she has been lucky so far with the people he has gone for, but that won't last, and it will be the dog that ultimately suffers if he gets too nasty with someone. He is a lovely dog though, but I feel he needs someone who has more time/dedication to try and deal with his issues.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #17

This poor little girl was threated with pts, she had done nothing wrong....Once again its the owner not the dog!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
25-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #18

Far too many people buy Cats and dogs without any thought, like Bengals for instance, look at the problems with them in rescue now. When looking for a kitten, 2 of the Persian breeders I approached also had Bengals, they BOTH tried to sell me one, knowing I wanted a laid back breed, with little wandering tendancies!

People also seem to collect pets, they then get out of hand, breed willy nilly and there you go again, "breeding like Rabbits" comes to mind, see it all the time.

I did Labrador rescue for 7yrs, the amount that bought field trial bred animals and couldnt cope with them was unbelievable. I blame the breeders too for selling them to them, you MUST understand the needs of the animals you are buying. They cost money, time and patience, this little Boxer would never of been so close to death if the owners had done their homework.

Glad she is ok now.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #19

Thats the whole problem, people see a breed and like the look of it, not thinking of what the dogs needs are, and will they fit in with their way of life...There are so many breeds I really like, but they are totally wrong for my way of life....So just have to admire other peoples dogs....

Sadly Missed

25-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #20

Digging back in my memory I can remember when Crufts was won by a pyrenean mountain dog - even remember he was called Bergerie Knur. At the time I had a friend that bred them and she was inundated with calls from people who wanted a dog 'Just like the one that went Best in Show at Crufts', absolutely no idea of the breed at all Makes you despair of some people does't it. No wonder the rescues are so full - and, of course, a lot of the breeders are at fault too Logoes