Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
30-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #1

Persian Cats, then and now, your thoughts..

Perhaps not a debate, but 3 Cats I am boarding, plus the attitude I got from some Persian breeders, whilst still deciding on a new Cat, has promted this thread. This breed is very precious to me, I hate to see it abused, and in recent years the US influence of "Ultra" type Cats have IMO put the breed in serious difficulties health wise.

We have some Persian folk and Kay that shows them, so their input would be great, just peoples thoughts on what is now the "Persian"

First Cat, my Schnapps. 14yrs old, clean eyes, no snorting, no snotty nose or sneezing.

Second Cat, Chinchilla Persian, 9yrs old, clean eyes, no sneezing, no snorting.

Third Cat 5yrs, very pinched nose, a lot of sneezing, and snorting and some eye discharge.

Fourth Cat, exotic, 3yrs, mouth permanently open, eyes self explanatory, cant breath freely and sneezes and snorts all day, purchased as an "Ultra" type Exotic. Requires warm water cleaning 3 times a day, discharge builds up withing hours.

Given the Cats ages, do you think the new trend is detrimental to the Cats wellbeing?
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #2

Re: Persian Cats, then and now, your thoughts..

Interesting topic Dawn. I must confess I have never really been a fan of the persian cat, just my opinion though, I know how popular they are and your cat looks the picture of health. However, I am totally against the 'ultra' type. I feel quite sorry for the cat in the forth picture, he looks uncomfortable and those poor eyes... just doesn't seem right to me.
I do think it is detrimental to the cats wellbeing. I know that quite a few persians end up in rescue mainly due to some owners not realising the amount of care they need. At our Animal Sanctuary we have had a few in with horrendous matts. The ones I have known are very laid back and with responsible owners make lovely pets. I wouldn't like to see the breed die out, but just don't think the 'ultra' type is being fair to the cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
30-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #3

The last two pictures are horrendous - I am not a fan a Persians but it is because I assumed all Persians looked like the last two pictures.

I dont see how anybody can like the latter pictures. Or want to own a cat like that. They are not attractive and have health issues. What is the point?

All this pedigree breeding does have its downsides and these pictures illustrate it clearly.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
30-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #4

Firstly remember cats should be loved for themselves not what they look like.

Oscar (Mums rescue) looks a bit like the cat in the third piccie and he's not horrendous, he is gorgeous!!!!

My persians are not ultra and I do agree that some breeders have taken the ultra to extremes (no pun intended). Where I disagree with the ultra breeding is if there are health issues. I know of some ultra persian owners who have to hand feed their cats as they just cannot manage to pick up the food at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #5

I bought 2 of my persians as kittens from breeders. One, Fifi is very much a doll-faced persian, see below. She does need her eyes wiping, but only about 1-2 times per week. She has no breathing difficulties and can mostly eat normally, however can't (for example) pick up peices of meat/ham off the floor - I have to help her with that. I think she is the most beautiful out of all my 3 persians. She thinks so too

Balie IS a bit more flat faced. He prefers to eat his food raised and not out of a deep bowl. He doesn't do it so much now, but when he was younger he used to 'throw' the biscuits up a little and catch them. This worried me as he obviously couldn't pick up his food. He has deep gullies either side of his nose and his eyes really do need wiping daily.

Darcy is a different matter altogether. He's a rescue who obviously has a deformed jaw (with the lower protruding further than it should) giving him that snarling look. He does wheeze and his eyes do get quite mucky. He prefers to drink from a tap rather than from a water bowl on the floor, but seems not to struggle to eat Despite his wheezing, he is an energetic little chap and runs around everywhere. His facial disfigurement doesn't seem to concern him too much.

I don't think it is right to breed an animal for 'show quality' alone. Especially if that 'quality' compromises their comfort and functionality (i.e., if they struggle to breathe).

I don't (obviously) think persians are at all ugly - quite the opposite I adore the breed, but I find that last picture of Dawn's quite disturbing as the cat looks sad and uncomfortable and has a look of 'please help me' about it . Any kind of extreme pedigree brings its own health issues and I think it is unfair on the animal to subject it to such a strenuous and select breeding pattern.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #6

Must admit, not keen on the exotic above, its face is too squashed....

Much prefer Merlins face....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
30-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #7

I can't get my head around any of the extreme types. The siamese as well - thin brush-stroke cats. No health problems that I know of (not well informed on the subject by any stretch), but I just want a cat-shaped cat. Munchkins... Hate to have to run away from something with nothing for legs, but they may be indoors only and happy with it.
Anything that will give health-problems is wrong, imho. (All breeding will remove some vigour, and there's no guaranteed way to pick the best genes (most alleles being "invisible" unil they go very wrong or right) but at least it's generally only enhancing something harmless such as deeper colour.)

Blathering - bed-time. Night!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
30-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #8

Darcy

Here are my three - not dollfaced but not extreme. They all throw their biscuits in the air (except for Fabian) but have improved a lot since eating RC persian. They will all drink out of a water bowl or the fountain.

Sol - still manages to throw biscuits around but not too bad. His eyes need cleaning about once a week

This is Fabian who has a big chin - he has no proiblems eating but quite weepy eyes, they require cleaning every day

And Foofoo - she doesn't have many teeth left so does struggle with biscuits, she still manages fine though. Her eyes need cleaning every day too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
31-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #9

I have no experience with Persians, but wanted to say........

The above pics in this thread all look gorgeous, well loved and cared for x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #10

Compared with the dog world, I think cats have been fortunate up to now in (mostly) not being bred to extreme and picking up associated health problems.
I hope this doesn't change/go further. The sphynx and the extreme flat-noses are far enough, cats don't need long legs/short legs, big jaws, rasta hair, wrinkly skin etc etc etc.