Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
09-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #11

Re: Repercussions for animal cruelty - what should they be?

I agree Donna - and just because it's not murder doesn't mean it shouldn't be severely punished. Doesn't make it any better than it is - "murder" is a word, and doesn't make things moral or immoral. The action makes itself.

If that makes sense - I really need a nap but when I tried to take one my 3-year-old was sick on me, so it's not looking likely atm

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Maybe we can have the law changed where if it is done to someone elses pet without their permission it could count as murder. But then if we accidently run a cat over and it dies, where do we stand legally there? Is that manslaughter (or catslaughter).
It would be an accident - a tragic one, but an accident nonetheless. Cats can "appear" out of nowhere and dash across the road. However angry and upset you are at the loss of your much loved pet, you can't blame the driver for that and there shouldn't be any legal repercussions.

When dogs or farm animals are hit, you legally have to report it to the police - you don't for cats. Unfortunately, they sometimes do run away after an accident and hide to die. In my last house I had a knock on the door from a very distressed poor lady who had just run over a cat, which had run out of my garden straight in front of her car - he lived two doors down from me. As the cat had run away, she couldn't do anything except try to let someone know - which she did. But what if you can't get an answer from any local houses - highly likely during a workday - you can't be blamed for that.

I think the law as it stands when it comes to road accidents is right, and shouldn't be changed.

(Just to finish the story - my neighbours were out, so I went searching for poor puss - he was *well* hidden and I would never have found him if he hadn't mewed in response to my "puss puss" calling and kissy noises. Sadly, he had to be PTS the next day, his injuries were just too severe.)

Catsey Veteran

09-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
But what if you can't get an answer from any local houses - highly likely during a workday - you can't be blamed for that.
You could always leave a note describing the cat to the best of your ability? Even so, though, which house would you leave it at? I suspect I'd try that if I truly couldn't get hold of anyone... But I don't think my chances of getting the correct house are that brilliant.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #14

I would want to leave a note somewhere nearby and state what vet I had taken it to or my phone number. Hopefully if you get the wrong house they might know of who the cat belonged to

Catsey Veteran

09-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #15

Aye. Although hitting a cat with your vehicle, unless it's on purpose, is not animal cruelty...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
11-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #16

Certainly an interesting question - hadn't realised that a change in the law might affect euthanasia, it is something I strongly agree with (and just wish it were legal for humans), so wouldn't want to lose that (although it isn't always used correctly). I think that you shoudl have to report hitting a cat though, I don't see why there should be any difference, you might still have a distraught owner looking. I am a bit wary of the new animal bill, I haven't fully read it, but it is cos the RSPCA are policing it - a volunteer posted on another forum that some branches will refuse to take pure blacks cos they are hard to rehome, adn we all know what they can do just cos a cat is FIV+, so I am not sure they are the best people really.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
12-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Certainly an interesting question - hadn't realised that a change in the law might affect euthanasia, it is something I strongly agree with (and just wish it were legal for humans), so wouldn't want to lose that (although it isn't always used correctly). I think that you shoudl have to report hitting a cat though, I don't see why there should be any difference, you might still have a distraught owner looking. I am a bit wary of the new animal bill, I haven't fully read it, but it is cos the RSPCA are policing it - a volunteer posted on another forum that some branches will refuse to take pure blacks cos they are hard to rehome, adn we all know what they can do just cos a cat is FIV+, so I am not sure they are the best people really.
Having seen the last few horrific cases of animal cruelty, the only fitting punishment is at least 50 lashes as the Singapore government does. I am fed up of excuses for this behavier and the softly softly way is treated with contempt by this sort of vermin. As for human euthanasia please no. It has been made legal in Holland and its been admitted that patients are
a being forced to agree by relatives, in one case an elderly man who changed his mind was told that his relatives had spent a lot of money coming from Canada and he shouldn't be so selfish.
b being put down against their wishes even if the doctor KNOWS there is a better way
c elderly people are carrying living wills to state they don't want to be killed because they are so scared of being taken to hospital and killed!!!!!!!!! Are we wanting our grandparents and parents to be too scared to get medical help because they don't want to die?

It hasn't worked in Holland and it will not work in this country because basically doctors are arragont gits who (while smoking drinking and by the look of them being overweight) think they and only they know whats good for you. As an example I can't remember how many times I have been asked by a doctor have I given up smoking yet? and do I know how unhealthy it is? The one question I have NEVER been asked? Do you Smoke? How does a non smoker give up smoking? I did ask why didn't they ask if I smoked and was told that she assumed as a factory worker I would naturally be a smoker!!!!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

12-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #18

That is interesting - was talking to the receptionist at the vets when I helped home a cat that had been taken to pts, and she said it was things like that that made her glad that euthanasia wasn't legal in humans - I didn't think it would be that much of an issue, I didn't realise relatives would have a say. So I will have to have a think about that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
12-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #19

It does make you think more - I have only ever seen it as a good thing for us humans that are very ill and in pain and never getting better, but forgot about all the money grabbing relatives that might see a way to getting their money quicker.

Interesting...........

Almost a Veteran Member

12-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #20

I thought of it that way too Donna.