Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
08-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #51

Re: Breeding

Fran i was not replying to you sorry

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
Fran i was not replying to you sorry
I know you weren't Nat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #53

Yep, typical "bred for money" scenario, and by the looks of it, didnt do much enquiring on who was buying the pups either! Disgusting.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #54

Unfortunately when it comes to whether or not you would take a kitten back whether it be moggy or pedigree, I do really think that we are preaching to the converted on this one.

Without going into too much detail I know someone who has had atleast 7 litters between their cats. They don't do it for financial gain they just can't be bothered to get them 'done' It's owner's like this that we need to be encouraging to sort themselves out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #55

I totally agree Naomi! I imagine that everyone on here is a responsible cat owner and most of us would get our cats neutered. I help out at our local rescue centre and we always have cats looking for new homes. In the Spring there are lots of kittens, and although these are usually re-homed much more easily, there have been some years when we have had so many that we have been struggling to re-home them all. I often wonder how many of these 'cute' kittens end up in rescue after they have grown into adult cats and their novelty has worn off. There are some people, unfortunately that just do not think of the welfare of the cat and begrudge the cost of neutering or just can't be bothered. With people like this rescue centres will never go out of business! We once had someone bring in a GSD who was in whelp, once she had weaned the pups, we were requested to re-home them and she wanted mum back!! This couple had 7 greyhounds and greyhounds x too. Our Daisy is one of those dogs and although I don't think she was mis-treated, she was very thin and nervous, they obviously couldn't cope with so many dogs.

For what it's worth, mainly due to my experiences with rescue, this is my opinion. I do not agree that it is ever necessary to let your cat have "just one litter" even if you have homes lined up for the kittens. Something can go wrong, the cat could have more kittens than expected, those kittens for whatever reason could end up needing a new home in the future and you are taking valuable potential homes from cats/kittens in rescue centres. You cannot be sure of the health status of the tom either. I think there are enough pedigree breeders around too. On several occasions we have had persian cats in our rescue centre, usually very matted, as the owner cannot cope with the coat. We had 3 Devon Rexes once, and it took some time to re-home them. I always rescue cats rather than kittens and have taken on a few real oldies just so they can spend their last few months in comfort! I really am too soft! I do think that on here though we are talking to the converted!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #56

As a breeder of Persians I have read this thread carefully before deciding to post. Firstly I have to say I believe moggy kittens should be neutered at 6 months if not sooner as I should any pedigree kittens, of any breed, that are sold as pets. There are plenty of unwanted cats and kittens in rescues and this number just continues to rise due to nothing more than neglect and irresponsibility. I agree accidents do happen, the queen may silent call, call very early, get out etc, but do they have to keep having accidents???
As for the comment that pedigree cats have inherited conditions, this is true in many of the breeds, but allowing your female moggy to go out and mate with the local tom that you have no idea as to what it's health status is potentially fatal. Responsible breeders, and there are quite a lot of us, screen for inherited conditions and viruses, annually vaccinate our adults, feed quality foods, do not rehome our neuters when they are too old or didn't breed well. All my kittens leave me at a minimum of 13 weeks, not 6-8 weeks that moggies leave their mum's at, are fully vaccinated, unlike moggies, have 6 weeks health insurance, very seldom seen with moggy kittens. The new owners are given a kitten pack which consists of litter tray, scoop and litter, feeding bowls, mat and bag of food, toys and a cat book, blanket and a guide which I have written myself. This all helps continuity in the new home, how many moggy kittens get that. Every kitten I sell whether it is to a pet, breed or show home is sold with a contract. The contract states that the kitten has to come back to me if the new owners can no longer look after the cat/kitten, and I have had to take two back under this, these two have now been rehomed with a friend. It also states that a pet kitten cannot be breed from and has to be neutered at 6 months, I also withhold the paperwork until I have confirmation of this from their vet. I also say that if a cat/kitten is not properly fed, cared for or given appropiate vet care I can take the cat/kitten back without recompense to the new owners, I have also had to do this with two cats from the same household, these two are still with me and will stay here forever. It is mentioned on this thread that people breed cats for money, while I know this is true please do not ever mistake the responsible breeder for one of these people. If do properly there is very little if any profit to be made. Last year I had three litters, 11 kittens in all, within a week of the births 4 had died leaving 7. They all went to loving pet homes at £300 each. Lot of money I hear you say!! Not when you consider one girl had a section at £300, neutering of that girl, my new stud cat died at 10 months old leaving vet bills of over £1000 put that with the food bills and litter bills for the kittens and the adult cats, the costof the 7 lots of kitten vaccinations plus my adults boosters, kitten packs, registration and the list goeson and on. You can see that I made a loss last year. I hear you say..."Why do it?".. I do it to try and improve the breed and not for any money gain. If by chance there is a little profit some year it goes to my cats. Unlike moggies, if we didn't breed our pedigrees then the breeds would be lost forever. But please be careful when buying a pedigree kitten go to a reputable breeder. If people contnue to buy from irresponsible breeders, both pedigree and moggies,they will continue to do it because for them it is easy money.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #57

Good post Kay, I agree. I got all those things, bar the litter tray with Wiggy, and as should be, the breeder is at the end of a phone line, willing to step in should it be necessary, I think we will all agree thats a responsible breeder.

Interesting the thread starter has not commented since he posted the thread, Luke where are you??
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #58

Excellent post Kay. I know there are a lot of good responsible breeders around, but I found your post a real eye opener!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #59

Thanks Dawn and Kim. It is done out of love and respect of the breed as a lot of breeders but you tend to only hear about the bad ones... as in everything.

Didn't realise my post was that long though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #60

Hi, i thought i would stick my beak in here!
There are thousands of unwanted cats and kittens in rescues, and very few are for what i would call sincere reasons. Thats a whole other topic though,
basically my feeling is if youre gonna get a cat try the shelters first. BUT there are many genuinely loving caring people who get turned away by shelters for wahtever reasons, I cant get one from them cos i have a child under 5, depsite the fact i already have a kitten and 2 cats!
If you get a cat get it spayed. I really think the majority of people only breed fromt hier cats cos they think it a good way to make some money.
I do personally think that a cat should be allowed one litter, i mean whoa re we to deprive them ahving children? we dont tell our neighbours tog et spade so they cant have children, but do our pets.
If i had a female cat that had kittens i would keep at least one, and ensure the rest went to good homes, and say if ever they became unwanted i would take them back in.

BUT i would certainly not allow more than one litter, there are too many unwanteds out there alread