Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
07-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #31

Re: Breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I see what you are saying Het, but what if it didnt work? What would of happened to Jazz then? Have you bred from her since, and the question about if it were a dog, would you do the same? I realise I am being a nosey cow cant help it, comes from a family of lawyers I am not judging you by any means, i am just trying to understand.
Dawn.
don't worry Dawn, quite happy to discuss it. I didn't breed from her again...I kept two gorgeous kittens and she was much happier so there was no reason to. As to what would have happened if it didn't work...well I suppose I didn't want to think about that, I suppose I could see myself that what she needed was a role...a focus, a purpose I suppose. Believe me it wasn't a spur of the moment decision...I spoke to my vet as obviously she had to have various tests done before she could go to the Tom. If it were a dog I would give the same amount of thought i.e why are these problems occuring ...is it something that can be passed on etc.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
07-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #32

That's interesting...

Of my four girls, two - Jenny and Amber, the oldest and youngest at 13 and 3-ish - have been mothers. The other two (Snowy 11.5 and Molly 5) haven't. There is a *definite* difference which I am not convinced is just down to personalities.

Jenny and Amber are generally calmer and more sociable. They are also lazier, more home-loving and unfortunately greedier - Amber is definitely tubby They also both want to be top of the pecking order - although Amber is the latest arrival, she has Snowy and Molly firmly under her paw and is after top cat position! Snowy and Molly seem not to have "grown up" and display more kittenish behaviour - dashing round like mad things occasionally, and are shyer.

Jenny and Molly both came from homes. Snowy and Amber were strays - so I don't *think* it's background.

Having said all this, all the cats are happy and, I believe, "fulfilled" in their lives and with my love for them - it's a myth that a cat will somehow be deprived if she doesn't have kittens. But I can believe it affects their personalities.

Catsey Senior

07-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #33

Interesting observations LMC. I definitely agree that a cat doesn't need to have kittens to be fulfilled but after my experience I am sure that in certain situations it is beneficial and in Jazzs case it made a very positive difference

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #34

Thanks Het.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #35

Been reading with interest and not interupting up til now!!

Just like to say my first two cats ever were for me. Pets. Nothing more. I had them vaccinated and as soon as was possible, booked them in to be speyed. Didnt let them out until that was done.

I have heard all cats should have a litter, but put that down to old wives tales. My cats dont appear to have missed out. They dont know any different.

Would never think to let them breed. They are moggies. There are plenty of moggies to go round.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #36

They haven't missed out on anything Donna - it is most definitely old wives tales.

More food for thought--Wouldn't it be silly if we thought that every female person should have at least one child I know we should never compare animals to humans but it is an interesting thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
08-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #37

i do not agree with breeding moggies or crosses at all, yes there are cats/ppl that have opps litters and fine then the cat should be done so no more opps litter should happen. i don't agree with breeding cats just cos friends and family want 1, for 1 they could go to any rescue and get 1, 2. they soon disappear when its time for the kittens to go to there new homes.

but saying all that i have 2 Maine coons that i have bought as breeding queens. i will make sure that any kitten i breed and sell will have 100% lifetime help off me. i will always take back a kitten/cat that falls on hard times.

am i contradicting myself probably

Catsey Senior

08-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
i do not agree with breeding moggies or crosses at all, yes there are cats/ppl that have opps litters and fine then the cat should be done so no more opps litter should happen. i don't agree with breeding cats just cos friends and family want 1, for 1 they could go to any rescue and get 1, 2. they soon disappear when its time for the kittens to go to there new homes.

but saying all that i have 2 Maine coons that i have bought as breeding queens. i will make sure that any kitten i breed and sell will have 100% lifetime help off me. i will always take back a kitten/cat that falls on hard times.

am i contradicting myself probably
Fair enough bobbie but whos to say that someone with a moggy having kittens won't put the same amount of commitment in. There are plenty of pedigree breeders out there who just sell the kitten and end of story.... a cat is a cat...pedigree or not ...if you are against it for one you should be against it for all. You are making moggy owners out to be an irresponsible bunch which is wrong...we all know there are a lot of very unscrupulous pedigree breeders out there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
You are making moggy owners out to be an irresponsible bunch
Yes I think they are, are there not enough being bred by irresponsible means to supply the pet market for an awful long time? No different to breeing mongrels in my opinion.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
08-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #40

ok maybe i put it worng
why breed a moggy? yes there are lots of pedigree breeders that take your money and run and im sure there would be many ppl that if there moggy had a litter would do as i have said i will do but why do it in the first place?

there is no standard to go by, what health checks do you do if you dont know what cat you got. yes moggy can have health problems just like pedigrees can.