Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #11

Re: Limits to veterinary intervention????

I didn't see the programme, so I don't know what Harry had, or how gruelling the operation and the subsequent recovery were. Please bear that in mind before jumping at me claws out

If the chances of recovery were good, and the quality of life to be expected after the procedure were good, then I might put my cat through surgery that may initially be awful for them. It does depend on the recovery time - if it were going to take my cat a year of all-out pain to recover, then probably not, for reasons already mentioned. But if it were a painful surgery he would recover from in 2 days... Then no contest.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #12

If i remeber correctly he had open heart surgey. The vet had attempted open heart surgery on 2 previous cats and had failed on both occassions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #13

I have been in this position to a degree. I had a cat that had a nasty car accident. The vets couldn't believe he had survived and he had horrific injuries. The worst of his injuries left him with a cleft palatte. The vets told me that the chance of surgery to repair the cleft palette was good and as soon as he was well enough he underwent surgery. It didn't work and the wound broke down He underwent this procedure 3 or 4 times each time it was unsuccessful. In the end the vets wanted to wire his mouth and tube feed him to allow time for the surgery to work and at this point I said no more and had him pts. The vets did all in their power to get me to change my mind but after several attempts which had failured each time and then to have the prospect of him having his jaw wired and be tube fed I thought that I was not being unreasonable saying no...

Rip Benson x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #14

What a difficult position to be in Fran

RIP Benson

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #15

That was awful Fran.....it makes one wonder if these vets just want to see if they can do the impossible

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #16

Harry had an enormous heart defect - not a hole in the heart - more the oposite. One chamber was so constricted it was as if all his life blood had to be pumped through a space hardly bigger than a blood vessel. He had angiograms (under sedation/anaesthetic) to confirm the diagnosis and assist the surgeon prepare.
His friend Jacob had to donate blood.
He was shaved totally, from neck to tail pre-op. He shrank to the back of the cage when they went to pick him out for the surgery.
The programme was left on a knife edge (no pun intended) where he had made it though the op but you didn't know if he would survive the night ('spect he does; the prog will be a big let down if not)

There seems to be a consensus here and I would go along - if a young animal had an accident and had to live as an amputee, or without an eye, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead with the surgery. It would stop the post-accident pain anyway. I don't think I'd go for much else. Skin things, cysts etc - fine, routine, get rid of them - esp as they are likely to get damaged in normal living. Teeth - of course. Major internal stuff - I don't think so. But - it's very easy to say that when it's not your babe.

Fran - I think you did the right and the brave thing. Poor Benson.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #17

Second episode of the Super Vets in 5 minutes.
We'll find out about Harry

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Second episode of the Super Vets in 5 minutes.
We'll find out about Harry
Just seen it DM. Harry seems to be doing quite well despite his 'set back' Really felt for that Reindeer though, think they should have pts not let her die in her sleep

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
12-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #19

because im not working ive been taking barnaby to the pdsa,and i cant say enough about them,they have been brilliant with him,he has been treated so well,and they wont pts an animal un-nesary they will discuss the situation with you,eplore all options,they did this when my old dog truman was back n forth,he was 18 and his back legs fianlly went,and although he wasnt in any pain,he had no dignity, so 2 vets stayed with me and 2 nuses,and one by one they left me with him to say good bye,one nurse hovvered in the background, as i said b4 they are 100% commited to animal care,and they are not in it for the money.

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #20

Well I watched it again.
Poor Taggy Poor owners - £10 000!
It's hard but we need to accept that our animals are not immortal
(I think the reindeer should have been put down too - poor old soul)