Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Cute Kittens

We all know that kittens are cute, All kittens, from the healthy to the sick are cute. We all know that the country is over populated by unwanted cats (not just cats but this is a cat forum). So why do we on Catsey continue to support and coo over the indiscriminately bred kittens? Why do we on Catsey continue to support this practice by buying these kittens rather than supporting the rescues?
Should Catsey not have something written into it's guidelines about such practices or the bragging of such practices?
Want to see some more cute kittens?

All died from infection

Also died

Died, FIV+

All dead due to disease

My boy Mutley, also dead due to disease.
These cats either died or were pts due to indiscriminate breeding, so tell me please why do Catsey members support this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
15-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

Re: Cute Kittens

Such sad photos Elaine, thank you for reminding us what thoughtless breeding can all too often lead to

We've been accused of implicitly supporting indiscriminate breeding on this forum before and I thought we'd seen the end of people posting cute pics of their "accidental" litters by now. Judging by recent events it's apparently still happening, still being boasted of and still being cooed over.

When will it end?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Those poor little kittens, like both you Lainey and MrsH, so sick of people breeding because they wanted too.....Far too many in rescues waiting for homes....I have nursed a litter like the little ones above, and its heartbreaking....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Thanks, Elaine. It's only too human to coo over cute kittens, I know I'm a guilty party here. You're 100% right, of course; I suppose the only justification is that we might educate the posters so they won't do it again ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #5

Too right Elaine, the only kittens I would even think about buying/adopting if I was to get a kitten would be from a rescue. I have felt that way even before I started volunteering.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

I have had my eyes open since I started fostering, until them did not realise the degree of the problem....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I have had my eyes open since I started fostering, until them did not realise the degree of the problem....
Until we actually got Tim i was totally unaware of the problems with cats & the horrendous amount born each year. I have since become involved with cat rescue, got a wee cat homed recently whose owner had had the cat years & moved house leaving the cat behind.

People taking on kittens promising to neuter & not & kittens having kittens. Its gross.

I agree with everyting said however whats done is done & as someone else has said we can try to help educate folk. A litter of kittens cute as they are will grow & no matter how careful you are to vet new owners you cant guarantee they will neuter that baby when old enough.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I agree with everyting said however whats done is done & as someone else has said we can try to help educate folk. A litter of kittens cute as they are will grow & no matter how careful you are to vet new owners you cant guarantee they will neuter that baby when old enough.
Over and over we have heard the arguments about "educating folk" and the attitude of "whats done is done" and nothing changes, indiscriminate breeders still get support and are still allowed to brag about their litters on this and on other forums. The information about neuter and spey is out there if only people were to put their selfish desires aside and see the problems they are contributing to but they dont and so the problem continues.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #9

As you know Elaine, I'm one of the 'education' advocates. However, I'm realistic enough to appreciate that for everyone one individual you convert there are 100s; maybe 1000s who will continue to breed from their cats.

As far as we here are concerned, I think there should be a 'Catsey Charter' which people need to read and agree to in order to join. This charter can stipulate our policy on responsible breeding; any threads which then promote this activity can be removed or better stil, locked with a standard post reitterating our policy.

We will never eradicate the problem, the only thing is that over time, society may find it increasingly distasteful as a whole - however without some powerful government legislation and promotional campaigns this ain't going to happen any time soon that's why I feel it must come from within society rather than being imposed from outside/above.

As an example, look how long it's taking with the smoking message - people howl that their liberties are being revoked; imagine how they'd yell if controlled pet breeding were to be introduced.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #10

Yes i totally agree with you, have seen it time & again with dogs & now with kittens.

Amber came into season a few weeks after we got her. Just suppposing someone else had got her, was letting her out, she'd have got pregnant without tgem being aware. The very thought of such a young kitten getting pregnant never mind having kittens is to my mind, horrific. When we got her, her coat was thick & dull, it had a "dusty" dull appearance, she was so
light in weight, she needed built up. Yet she could so easily have had kittens herself. The likelihood of her carrying to term was slight never mimd having healthy babies. When she was picked up straying she had a too tight collar & despite extensive advertising no one claimed her. Kittens are too easy to come by

So, whats the answer. Ive heard if one animal rescue who insists all kittens are neutered at 4 months. This in itself is controversal. Vets who say they wont neuter/spay until the kitten is 6 months,
what use is that when some kittens come into season much earlier. When we got Tim our vet told us to keep him in until he was six months, neutered & microchipped. We have since moved & vets we are with now were surprised i wanted him chipped (while being neutered). Yet so many kittens arent
even given vaccs to begin with.

We hope to keep ours as house cats although we realise there may come a time when they will want out but, as yet it hasnt come to that. It is even more important to us as Tim has an intolerance to vaccs. Next year the vet we have now is goimg to try his booster
split into two. I e been asked 'why bother" if hes a house cat but yiu cant 100% guarantee he wont gwt out at some time.

A sensible vet will advise clients like ours did to keep babies in until six months & neuter/spay - but so
many kittens dont even get their first
vaccs never mind a booster. He also has dietry problems.

Tims mum was feral & probably his father was too. A feral colony probably interbreeding as time wears on will probably produce kitts with weajer
immune systems

To help educate folk at source i think the only way forward is early neutering & to be honest never thought I would say that as i to always thought 6 months was the "right" age. I have been educated in that sense - others can be too.....

Unfortunately when the deed is done and the cat is near term there is little can be done except try & get the owner to neuter the mother ASAP once kitts weaned. Advise them to offer finnancial help to new owners to neuter/spay the kittens & why not, theyve been responsible for bringing new life into an already over populated feline world si they need to take that responsibility seriously & also offer to have 1st choice in taking the kitt back no matter what age should the new owner decide they can no longer provide for it.

Excuse all typos as im using one finger on the iPhone - lol! I'll have to go now as Tim has got hold of the toilet roll & doing an Andrex puppy act - flying round the house with it trailing behind him.....