Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
17-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Collar Warning

I'm posting this because last month we could potentially have lost Dylan due to his collar.

I don't know exactly how he managed it, but he came in and his collar didn't look quite right. I tried to take it off (it's a quick release one so should have come off really easily) but it was completely jammed and I could not get it open. I have no idea how he jammed it, but the only reason I didn't have to cut it off was because my stepdad was around and was able to wrench the collar open for me. Ideally Dylan wouldn't be wearing a collar but he has to in order to warn people that he is on a special diet (due to tummy troubles) and should not be allowed access to other food.

Moral of this story: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for your cat/s sake/s, please check your cats collars daily to make sure they don't jam!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Re: Collar Warning

Good that you discovered it before anything happened. Good warning to those whose cats wear collars.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

I sent away for collars for Tim when we got him he was so small anything in the shops was miles too big. They came from someone who makes them at home & uses quick release collars. Same thing the catch didnt release & poor baby Tim was caught. If it hadnt been for Katie rushing to alert mum I dont think he would be here, she had to cut the collar off with scissors. Ive never put collar on him since

Katie (dog) - had seen some lovely collars & sent away for one online, silk lined. Again it was the quick release catch. Only Katie & Harvey had been playing & we think he had grasped her collar & it had pulled tight, which it shouldn't have done, she was actually gasping & again it had to be cut off. I now only buy from stores where i can take them back if faulty. The dogs dont wear collars anymore in the house or garden.

Its very scary. Glad your wee one is ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
17-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

That collar I'd got from the charity I used to volunteer at, I was advised not to get the non-quick-release ones due to the fact there had been a few rescues get hurt from the non quick release sort.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

I had. a Rogz jam on one of the dogs. When i complained to the shop they said to take it up with Rogz. Despite several emails (they are outside uk) heard nothing back from them. Wouldnt buy them again as apart from anything else they are too expensive not to get some reimbursement

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #6

I have always used the safety collars for Kizzy and Pip. Kizzy is not a problem, but Pip loses his collars very very regularly, so I presume the catch gives up at the slightest tug. I was wondering whether to go back to the elastic gusset sort of collar, like my previous cats had before the safety catch came along.

I guess that I must learn to balance the annoyance and cost of losing collars with the knowledge that Pip has managed to get free and come home safely, which is far more important.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
18-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #7

Good advice RCR. Izzi loses her collar on a daily basis. Currently lost in the house somewhere. Breagh is a good girl and keeps hers on.

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have always used the safety collars for Kizzy and Pip. Kizzy is not a problem, but Pip loses his collars very very regularly, so I presume the catch gives up at the slightest tug. I was wondering whether to go back to the elastic gusset sort of collar, like my previous cats had before the safety catch came along.

I guess that I must learn to balance the annoyance and cost of losing collars with the knowledge that Pip has managed to get free and come home safely, which is far more important.
Agree totally with your last para