Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Phosphorous levels - help please..

Katie is on these new tablets - Rubenal which in fact turns out that they are not new out or in fact conventional medicine, they are homeopathic

I have since discovered that they are high in phosphorous. Phosphorous is something that should be kept on the lower levels for renal cats and dogs

Katie gets two 300mg pills a day and each tablet contains 38.0mg phosphorous - does anyone know if this is too high?

A member on another forum contacted me and said she thought the tablets contained too much phosphorous - this in turn set me looking on the web about this tablet and how i found out it is homeopathic and not new out - its been out a couple of years now.

Break down of the pills reveals -
Calcium 0.1mg, Phosphorous 38.0mg, Potassium 6.4mg and Sodium 40.0mg - which to me is a lot of sodium as well

Is there anyone can help me with this as I really dont want to be doing more harm than good with this medication. Apparently all the vets used it when it first came out but now its not really heard of

When Katie gets two a day she is very windy - something ours dont normally suffer from. On one a day she appears okay. So technically speaking it is not 100% agreeing with her digestion

Is there anyone can tell me if the phosphorous level in this drug is acceptable. Katie is approx 23 kilos in weight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

Re: Phosphorous levels - help please..

Was it the vet who put Katie on these tablets? Why not get in touch with the vet in any case and voice your concerns, they should certainly have a answer for you and hopefully it's one that reassures you.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

I agree with MrsH, I would check it out with your vet first....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

I's check with the vet also .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

It's not really that simple as I agreed that we would "trial" the drug for the vet for three months and he was so nice about it all - I suppose that sounds stupid?

It is what the call a phosphorous binder if that helps

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Velvet - sorry, I'm not up on these things but how can something be a phos binder if it's got such a high phos content? I am sure that I have read Elaine recommending a phos binder for feline renal problems, but I can't remember what the med was called.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
17-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

I have to admit it's not a drug I've come across before so have just had a quick google-it's produced by vetoquinol?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what other drugs Katie is on but it looks as if they recommend it as an add on to other renal supportive treatment.
I think that even though you agreed to trial this drug, you are totally within your rights to take your concerns to your vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

I posted this back in 2009, there is a link to Rubenal. Dont know if it will help you any but I would agree with questioning the vet with regards to the phos levels Rubenal contains especially when it is supposed to be a phos binder.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...hlight=Rubenal

Just thought this might help with understanding phos binders a little better, havent had a good read through yet but there may be some more info on Rubenal.
http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus....rus_importance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #9

As far as I understand it Rubenal is not sold as a phosphate binder but as a treatment to prevent fibrosis in the kidneys.
I did use it for the cats, but have stopped as I am not sure how much more benefit you get from it,especially when you are giving renal food and benazacare/ fortekor and believe that b12 treatment and ultimately anabolic steroid injections may be more useful. I also found the tablets far too big to give to cats.

I found this that may be helpful- http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_tr...ts.htm#rubenal

I guess if you are using a phosphate inhibitor then the high levels of phosphate will be acted upon by the inhibitor- however if you are just using a renal diet low in phosphates it is will quite possibly be a problem. I would certainly talk to your vet and even get him to call the company. I think its the same company who make Ipakitine- so they should be able to advise the difference and how they work together.
I do not give ipakitine if the cat is eating a renal food because I was told it wasn't necessary- its only needed in normal food if your cat won't eat a renal diet.
I'll be very interested to hear what the vet has to say!