Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

New lodger

For the past 3 weeks a West of England Tumbler (fancy pigeon) has been hanging around the close, it has been roosting in a neighbour's garage each night up until a couple of weeks ago whereby it's chosen to hang around my back garden with the other doves and piji's. Despite leaving my garage and shed door open it's been roosting on an unused batbox I put up years ago! Anyways, I 'accessorised' an animal hide into a roosting box for him at night..
(awaiting photo, having probs with photbucket at mo)
He's shown much interest constantly peeping over at it but alas, prefers to perch atop his luxury 1 bed apartment rather than nestle down in it! Oh well, maybe once the weather really sets in he may decide to use it. I had a good word with him the other night when it was piddling it down with rain and he was stubbornly perched atop it and getting soaked, ended up in me climbing up a ladder with a blanket and popping him in, he stayed there all night and was tumbling in the sky the next day happy as Larry so maybe it's something I may have to keep doing until he gets used to it, we'll see! But he's a real sweetie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

Re: New lodger

How interesting! I know nothing about fancy pigeons; I suppose he's lost. Will he be able to survive the Winter outside?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

Is he ringed? If you got his number the National Pigeon Assoc could trace his owner.

Catsey Senior

08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Is he ringed? If you got his number the National Pigeon Assoc could trace his owner.
Unfortunately not, that was my 1st thought too!

Yes I am worried about the winter, reason why I've left my back garage door open, also there is a pair of sparrowhawks here; prolific hunters, they hunt together sometimes, the little s*ds! They usually end up taking the slightly smaller ones like the doves and songbirds as well as many many of the dear sparrows. He was happily ferreting aroound in the neighbour's garden this afternoon picking up grit and greens and the odd insect, preening himself etc. Food or water is not a prob as I feed the birds regularly and more, he showers in the neighbour's waterfall and seems happy, I'll just have to keep a close eye on him. Annoyingly photobucket won't upload my pics at the mo, don't know why, anyone else getting this prob?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

It told me i'd no Photos last week, nearly had heart failure!

Maybe hes a young bird not long left the nest?

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #6

Off topic, but brief: you made me nervous about PB, so checked; mine is fine! Whew!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #7

Good luck with the pigeon - he sounds rather tame! Look forward to the photo .... p/bucket working for me today!

Catsey Senior

13-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Photobucket working, yaay

Here he is watching me refelt the shed roof today, curious little man.

He used the roosting box for the 1st time ever last night without me popping him in there He used it again 5 mins before a big shower came, he's not stupid, I could hear him tucking in to his food in there, silly human stayed out and got wet, lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

De-luxe pige res - house and restaurant in one!

Catsey Veteran

13-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #10

Lucky bird! Food and shelter both