Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #21

Re: What do members think about dog food?

That's interesting Velvet and, with respect, against all I have heard about dogs! I get concerned when Monty sometimes leaves some of his food and hence this thread really. I always thought that "dogs will eat anything" and have been warned against a greedy dog - Miniature Schnauzers have a reputation for that.

Would you then advocate adding something tempting to kibble to encourage a clean bowl?

(I also realise I am getting confused between the makers "Bakers" and "Butchers"!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #22

good grief, Bakers is scary!!! Thanks for posting that Kim. Hubby doesn't want him to have chicken wings yet, wants me to do lots more research about it lol. So protective of his baby boy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Just re-read this thread.

Have to diagree about picky eaters and adding food to kibble.

If you have never had a fussy eater, you are lucky

There is the saying - fussy eaters are not born fussy, they are made that way, which i think is a bit of a old wives tale. People will tell you that competition will make a dog eat, that is not fact either, you can have half a dozen dogs that sweep the floor off crumbs and one that will walk and leave ,their food. It can be frustrating and in some cases worrying when you have such a dog.

Some dogs like Harvey will eat anything and everything put in front of them and more - he even hoovers the floor clean for me Feeders like that are just brilliant

They are all different - individuals and as such we love them as they are, frustrations, worry and all
Yes, all dogs are individuals but I have to disagree with you somewhat. As a generalisation regularly adding nice bits in order to make a dog's meal seem more attractive and varied for him to eat can in many instances raise his expectations and risk the dog turning his nose up at the dull but properly balanced dog food in the hope of getting some tasty, juicy bits.

Obviously this isn't the case with particular individual dogs but then I am only considering a general scenario.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Yes, all dogs are individuals but I have to disagree with you somewhat. As a generalisation regularly adding nice bits in order to make a dog's meal seem more attractive and varied for him to eat can in many instances raise his expectations and risk the dog turning his nose up at the dull but properly balanced dog food in the hope of getting some tasty, juicy bits.

Obviously this isn't the case with particular individual dogs but then I am only considering a general scenario.
Hmm, generally speaking though the average dog will eat anything - I have never known Harvey turn his nose up at anything. If I set him down two bowls of food, one containing soaked kibble and the other soaked kibble and tinned meat, I know he would eat the one with the tinned food first and then demolish the kibble without meat showing he had a preference but being typical dog he would greedily eat the lot

Then there is the not so good feeder......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
That's interesting Velvet and, with respect, against all I have heard about dogs! I get concerned when Monty sometimes leaves some of his food and hence this thread really. I always thought that "dogs will eat anything" and have been warned against a greedy dog - Miniature Schnauzers have a reputation for that.

Would you then advocate adding something tempting to kibble to encourage a clean bowl?

(I also realise I am getting confused between the makers "Bakers" and "Butchers"!)
I think your Monty is doing fine and wouldn't worry if
He left a bit of food now and then, just remove it so that when he comes to his next feed he will be hungry

No not all dogs are the same in the food dept anymore than cats are..

Butchers is a much better food, Bakers does not rate very highly at all. If either of ours ate it, the would be quite ill

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I think your Monty is doing fine and wouldn't worry if
He left a bit of food now and then, just remove it so that when he comes to his next feed he will be hungry

No not all dogs are the same in the food dept anymore than cats are..

Butchers is a much better food, Bakers does not rate very highly at all. If either of ours ate it, the would be quite ill

Yes, I agree, Butchers much better than Bakers! I did try to feed ours naturediet for brekkie, but so much was wasted, we tried them on Butchers and they love it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #27

I must try and remember "as fit as a butcher's dog" and maybe I'll get it right .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #28

Is Butchers only a wet food, or does it come in kibble form too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #29

Sal has a right assortment, she has mostly butchers in the foil trays/packets which are for small dogs. (I cut her food back when she was spayed) she has that with a handful of mixer, piece brown bread or rice.
She also has a homecooked sunday dinner complete with the veg on Sunday.
She will also have raw beef once or twice a fortnight; she will eat anything, but is not a greedy dog (she ate muc quicker when Tess was a live but being a single dog I think she knows she has no competition. One night a week she has nothing but mixer. And once a fortnight or so she has either pilchards or sardines,
She occasionaly a breakfast of porridge or weetabix.......in the winter.

She also really like Chappie but its such big tins I don't bother its a waste. But I will use Chappie if she has a dodgy tummy or after her spay and also after her Op last year on gum and foot. It is good for troubled/sensitive tums.

She gets fed once a day but has treats throughout the day like bits toast etc from my Mom and Dad (I am okay with that but cut back the amount of food given at tea time)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Is Butchers only a wet food, or does it come in kibble form too?
Think its only a wet food Alex.