Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

What do members think about dog food?

Just starting a new thread about this subject.

When we collected Monty from his breeder, we were given a bag of Royal Canin puppy and have progressed now to Royal Canin Junior. There is a breed specific kibble which we intend to switch to at 10 months. These are all dry kibble and the breeder advised mixing a couple of tablespoonsful of any sort of tinned dog food just to encourage the puppies to eat as presumably it smells more tempting. OH is not keen to do this any longer although sometimes I sneak some cooked chicken or anything available in just to make it more interesting. I think the whole thing is just boring. Sometimes Monty doesn't eat the kibble or only a small amount. I don't think he's underweight or suffering because he does get a lot of treats atm as we are training every day. We try a whole range of treats and biscuits - JW Crackerjacks are favourite atm. He also has homemade liver cake as training treats but generally when we go to class.

Can anyone give any suggestions how to make his meals more inviting? I did say on Alexgirl's thread about Ranger that I'd sent away for a sample of Baker's new product and understand from Kim that it's not a good food. Being new to dogs, any advice will be welcomed. Thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
31-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: What do members think about dog food?

I know there's a big debate on dried food and I don't want to get into a dried v wet discussion so I'll restrict my replies to what I know most about and that's dried.

I've never added anything to Morgan's food except water as he's not much of a drinker. In my experience dogs are not generally fussy about what they eat (unlike cats ) and diet boredom doesn't affect them (although there are always exceptions!) Adding warm water to kibble releases the tempting smells just as much as adding some tinned dog food without the risk that the cunning dog will eat the meat and walk away from the kibble! Diet variety is a human concept mainly but adding different bits and pieces to a meal can make the dog expect variety and become a difficult eater.

Any dried dog food that is other than a boring-looking uniform hue is packed with artificial colourings and to be avoided like the plague! The foods that are easily available in supermarkets are generally the ones I'm talking about. There are several well-regarded dried foods available, Morgan gets Burns but I know several people who feed Arden Grange, Barking Heads and I'm sure there are others too.

Perhaps Monty is leaving some of his food because he's getting enough from his treats? For normal everyday training without too many distractions, we used to just use part of Morgan's kibble allowance, we still put some bits in our pockets whenever we go out.

Hope that helps, remember dogs have greed as a default setting and they're very manipulative!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
31-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

OHs parents who have a 4yr old GSd female and !yr old GSDmale give their 2 dry food but mix it with bran and also pineapple juice to both help digestive systems and add more flavour. They both wolf it down when its dinner time.

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies - very helpful. We know that Mini Schnauzers can be greedy (as all dogs) but haven't noticed that Monty is particularly food driven - yet!

Thanks MrsH - I found your post reassuring and I'm sure you are right about food boredom being a human concept, although I'm happy to eat the same breakfast each day as it suits me! Good point about adding things might make a dog a picky eater, I'd certainly not thought about that. I will try adding warm water and see if that encourages Monty to clean his bowl. He does tend to drink water regularly and has a bowl indoors and outdoors too.

Pamela - I must express amazement at pineapple juice! Isn't there an enzyme in pineapple that "tenderises" meat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
31-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #5

its only half a capful they get added along with the water and as far as im aware it was the vet who recommended it. OHs stepdad is very particular in what the dogs are fed. He doesnt allow them to get any human food and makes sure they have the right food at feeding times.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
31-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #6

Pineapple juice is fine for dogs, it's often added to food to ahem* "flavour" their poo. Apparently it then deters those so inclined from eating their own waste

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

Eeeeeek! Yukkkkkk! It's amazing what Catsey members know

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
31-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Having a 22 week old Border Collie puppy I can sympathise with the food dilemma, Mist is curently on Hills Science Large breed puppy food, some Beta Puppy food and some RC puppy food and he mooches of the big dogs food

He also gets wet puppy food in the morning and again in the evening along with his big brothers who get a sachet eat, we feed most types of wet food and of course loves his treats as they all do

I also get to walk 5 miles a day and play ball with the dogs for hours a day so the ealking is getting me fitter at least

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

I agree with Mrs H, I now soak Raynes kibble and she eats it no problems. In times of inapatence I have added a crushed fish 4 dogs treat into her kibble, again that's enough to get her eating.

Liz, why is your BC on large breed dog food? I think you meant a 5 minute walk didnt you?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
31-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Mist is on large breed cause he won't eat small kiblle in any shape or form and we have bags left over to prove his point!!!

We do walk about 5 miles a day just in stages not all at once!!!