Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
12-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #21

Re: Free range or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
What lovely chooks! Nice to see them......
thankyou.

I think everyone should have a couple of chooks for their own eggs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
13-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #22

There wouldnt be any "chook" for long here!! They would have to be caged to survive!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
13-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #23

Do you know I have always thought about it and OH is very interrested... May plug you for info on this..I buy from a guy in work who has his own chucks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
thankyou.

I think everyone should have a couple of chooks for their own eggs.

I would dearly love to, even though I still have memories of being pecked by my grandma's while gathering eggs, but it is illegal here in the City...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
13-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #25

I must confess I hardly ever eat eggs. I even have to put them in the bin at times as they have gone out of date. I do buy free range though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
13-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
Do you know I have always thought about it and OH is very interrested... May plug you for info on this..I buy from a guy in work who has his own chucks
They are good fun.
You have to be careful that they have a fox proof enclosure. We did loose 7 to foxes once, but that was because my daughter had locked them out of the run when she got the eggs. They are really low maintenance & all have their own personalities.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #27

Another thought....

all you free range fans - have you thought about the meat that is used in your cat food? If you are against mass chicken production and religiously buy free range and organic.. you must know you are still buying into the mass production market with your pet food?

Not wishing to insult anyone's intelligence or cause a riot, but it is just another angle in this debate.

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Another thought....

all you free range fans - have you thought about the meat that is used in your cat food? If you are against mass chicken production and religiously buy free range and organic.. you must know you are still buying into the mass production market with your pet food?

Not wishing to insult anyone's intelligence or cause a riot, but it is just another angle in this debate.
As I said I buy cheap chicken for the Cats, well I assume its "standard" its the ones they cook on the spit in the store.

I wouldnt class my animals in the same class as me Donna. I wouldnt eat a piece of tripe but my dogs would, yet bleached, its suitable for human consumption. I also dont eat liver, I call that dog food too!

I am not about to start purchasing organic food for my pets (although the dog food is human class raw) 95% of cat and dog food is sourced from food NOT suitable for human consumption, so there isnt really much you can do about that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
As I said I buy cheap chicken for the Cats, well I assume its "standard" its the ones they cook on the spit in the store.

I wouldnt class my animals in the same class as me Donna. I wouldnt eat a piece of tripe but my dogs would, yet bleached, its suitable for human consumption. I also dont eat liver, I call that dog food too!

I am not about to start purchasing organic food for my pets (although the dog food is human class raw) 95% of cat and dog food is sourced from food NOT suitable for human consumption, so there isnt really much you can do about that!
Quite agree we shouldnt buy free range for our pets Dawn.
They get their own free range with the birds and mice they catch or in my case worms .

BUT if you are making a stance against buying the mass produced stuff... are you aware its in your pet food....

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #30

I see your point Donna, and yes I am aware of it. Animal feed wont change for a long long time, but I dont see them as needing to eat organic stuff like I do, as they are animals.