Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
21-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #1

We want help please

My first posting on these boards is to ask for some advice. We are catless for the first time for 27 years, I had to have Melba pts a fortnight ago as she had kidney failure, she was 16 1/2 yrs old and my son had found her under a hedge when she was only a few weeks old - we miss her !! Now then for the help-advice. I cannot see us remaining catless, but as I am (to put it politely) no longer in my first flush of youth I think that a kitten is out of the question, all our previous cats have been either kittens or they chose to move in with us, this time I shall be looking for an older cat which will have to live with our elderly arthritic dog. So how do I go about introducing an older cat to our household, and the 'how long is a piece ot string' question is what is the average time it will take for the cat to settle, are any breeds better at coping with a move and is male or female the better choice. I have a feeling that there are probably as many answers to my questions as there are cats in the world, but any advice will be most gratefully received - Thanks in anticipation Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
21-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #2

Re: We want help please

Hi & welcome to CP. Sorry to hear you lost your cat recently.

You are right that it really is a question of "how long is a piece of string" as some cats will settle much quicker than others, some cope well with change - some don't cope as well.
Why not contact your local Cats protection (or other rescue) & explain your circumstances & they will be able to tell you if they have any cats in their care that may suit your circumstances.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #3

I agree. Visit your local shelter and speak to the people there. They know their cats well and would be able to guide you through the best way forward. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #4

Hi there!! I'm sorry to hear about your loss too. It's difficult when we get so used to them being around - they leave a VERY big hole in our lives.

Like Smudgley - I would also suggest contacting your local Cats Protection branch. Many cats that come in have a history of being 'good with dogs' etc and many CP branches (such as mine) are now promoting older cats as perfect partners for the more mature person/household.

If you're UK based, why not contact a branch and see what they have to say?

Good luck and do let us know how you fare

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #5

Hi and welcome to CatPages - sorry it's in such sad circumstances.
You've had good advice above. Good luck in your search. There are way too many cats in rescue so I'm sure it won't take too long.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #6

Hi Logoes,
to Catpages!
Sorry to hear about your loss As the previous posters have said, I too think your local Cat's Protection would be your best bet.....they could probably pick the cat best suited to you. Good luck and please let us know how you get on....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
21-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #7

hi and welcome to catpages

sorry for your loss - I have nothing to add to what has already been said excellant advice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #8

Warm welcome to CP Logoes. Hope you enjoy it here. So sorry to hear about your recent loss. It must be very empty at the minute for you Good luck in the search for your new furbaby. Please lets us know how you get on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #9

Welcome to Catpages!!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your cat Definately worth giving one of your local rescue centres a call and see if they can suggest anything suitable. Good luck in your search for a new cat

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
22-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #10

Thank-you everyone for your advice, I had more or less decided to try one of the local cat rescues, although son had suggested trying one of the breed rescues, he used to have siamese and I think he would like to have access to another one!! I fancy something a little quieter myself. Yes we are missing our little girl, turn round quickly and a shadow makes me think she is still here, miss her most at night because she liked to sleep on my feet or share my electric blanket. However old dog is taking up my time at the moment, he has a damaged cruciate ligament, not allowed to exercise so I've had to cut down on his food, he does not like that! We will spend the Christmas break deciding what to do - may I wish you all a Very Happy Christmas, and once again Many Thanks - Logoes