Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
27-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #1

Wanting to eat the "deposit" in the litter tray?

Ebony just used the litter tray so I bagged the "deposit" up to take it out to the bin, turn round to get the litter bag to top up the tray, turn back round and Tigger's stuck her head in the bag like she was trying to help herself to the contents of it, like she thought it was food. Has anyone ever heard of a cat eating the contents of a litter tray? Fortunately I got the bag away from Tigger before she managed to help herself to anything. She's only ever done it once (tonight) and idk if it's because she used to live with dogs before she went into rescue so she might think she is one, but she lived with cats as well so surely she'd realise she's a cat???

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
28-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Re: Wanting to eat the "deposit" in the litter tray?

Assuming Tigger didn't actually eat anything? she was just being curious, I wouldn't worry. Lots of cats, especially house cats love to investigate plastic bags, and many cats routinely and instinctively sniff their faeces when they have had a poo in the litter tray before covering it up, (or sniff other cat's faeces, as the case may be). Tigger's probably just picking up a strong scent that tells her the state of Ebony's health, status etc. It may be that she got so deep in the bag to do this that it 'looked like' she was interested in eating it when in fact she was most likely only interested in getting as close as she could to it to smell it.
..If she actually progresses onto eating it, get back to us, this is a different matter entirely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
28-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #3

I don't think she ate any of it, I saw her earlier uncovering Ebony's poo again (in the tray) and having a sniff of it (she never buries her own poop either and she seems to like uncovering Ebony's poo as well)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

Id say shes just curious too. If i leave the bag down ours would often come to check out the pee & poop clumps (clumping litter). Thats all it is tho, just curiosity x