Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Cat rescue info!

I'm trying to get info on the numbers of animals in rescue in Britain- very difficult and even the small amount of info I'm finding is depressing.

I'm looking at cats first-
There are 8 million cats in Britain, 1/4 are rescued or rehomed- that is 2 million cat's.

The Cat Protection have 6000 cat's in their care at one time.
They take in 52,000 and only reunited 3,000 with their owner's a year.

The RSPCA are faced with having to PTS healthy cats as they cannot find homes.
In 2010 they took in over 10,500 cats, an increase of 28% on the previous year- 2009.
2009 had an increase of 40% compared to 2008.

Scary reading, and small, unregistered rescues will not be included in this.
I am trying to find out numbers PTS due to old age or ill health ( ie FIV).

Between 6-7% of cats have FIV, that's over half a million, many pounds and rescues PTS cats with this illness, even if they are showing no symptoms!

Any other info would be appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #2

Re: Cat rescue info!

I think there are many smaller unregistered cat rescues who take in many many kittens and cats especially over the spring - autumn months. There are also individuals who do similar

I am sorry i cant help you with figures bt wish you luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

It's a horrible fate for those poor cats ...... I remember how guilty and sick I felt when I had to take Harley to a local rescue. Some of you may remember the circumstances. I suspect he was pts, because he never did appear on the rescue's adoption pages.

If you like farthing, I could send you the link to that particular independent rescue's website - may give you some idea of the number they take. They also rescue rabbits.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
22-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

Interesting post farthing.
There's a place near here where I used to walk the dogs that took on wild animals too had a special room full of cats who would otherwise have been pts because they had FIV and no-one wanted to take them on, they had an outdoor enclosure too. That was a few years ago now, I could enquire if they still do?
It's heartrending the amount of healthy animals the RSPCA pts...criminal. I know they do some good but you need to remember they are a business, and as such making a profit always comes first.