Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #21

Re: Feeding kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Thanks for all your replies everyone

I think I'll look into raw-feeding (which doesn't mean that I'll do it). Presume you don't have to do the veg thing with cats?????? Hmmm *heads off to google*
DM be very careful with raw food as it opens the kitten up to the possibility of infections.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
DM be very careful with raw food as it opens the kitten up to the possibility of infections.
Kay, could I ask what evidence there is to support not feeding kittens raw? and is it just kittens or cats as well?

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Kay, could I ask what evidence there is to support not feeding kittens raw? and is it just kittens or cats as well?
It is only what I have been told by friends that have bred for years and does appear to be kittens not cats. Probably due to them having immature systems. I know some breeders who raw feed their adults to bulk them up but only on human quality meats not pet quality. If I find out anymore will let you know Fran.

Kay.

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #24

My dogs are raw fed and my puppies are initially weaned onto to raw too. Some of my cats have occasional raw. I have never had a problem of any description since feeding raw. I assumed that kittens would also be ok to be raw fed

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
My dogs are raw fed and my puppies are initially weaned onto to raw too. Some of my cats have occasional raw. I have never had a problem of any description since feeding raw. I assumed that kittens would also be ok to be raw fed
I don't understand it either because Holly, my Bully, was raw fed as a pup but it does seem to be the general opinion around cat breeders. I suppose it is like everything ...... different opinions on the subject.

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #26

Take a look at this site. It has some thought provoking ideas with regard to what to feed your cat. There is also a raw feeding section..

http://www.catinfo.org/

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #27

[quote=Fran]Take a look at this site. It has some thought provoking ideas with regard to what to feed your cat. There is also a raw feeding section..

http://www.catinfo.org/[/quote]

Thanks Fran. I found it very interesting. I still think I would be wary about weaning kittens on to it after all kittens in the wild feed a lot longer from their mums and therefore have a more mature system before the feed on raw meat. Just my opinion though.

Kay..

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Thanks Fran. I found it very interesting. I still think I would be wary about weaning kittens on to it after all kittens in the wild feed a lot longer from their mums and therefore have a more mature system before the feed on raw meat. Just my opinion though.

Kay..
To be honest Kay, the raw feeding just happened to be on that site. The main point of interest to me was with regard to the changing opinion r.e. dried food. I have always felt that an all dry food diet was unhealthy and the more I read the more I convince myself...

Catsey Veteran

10-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #29

Quote:
To be honest Kay, the raw feeding just happened to be on that site. The main point of interest to me was with regard to the changing opinion r.e. dried food. I have always felt that an all dry food diet was unhealthy and the more I read the more I convince myself...
I think it is like anything. One year they tell you this is good for you the next it isn't. I have always fed mine on a dry food diet and have never had any diet related health problems. In fact, touch wood, all my 8 are very healthy with lovely long glossy coats. But what is right for one may not be for another.

Kay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
11-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #30

hi Fran you remember when Sam was here a lot she also said that she feed raw but not to preg queens or new kittens

like u i feed my dogs and pups raw but i dont think i will be with the kittens if i get any.