Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2domestic shorthairs, 1 mainecoon
manecoon is Male
23-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Looking for information

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have 3 cats, not litter mates, but all the same age, who have lived together since they were just a couple weeks old. They are now 8 yrs old and my black cat, Leo, recently underwent an amputation of his left from leg at the shoulder due to bone cancer. We've had him home about 3 weeks now and I am pleased with how he is recovering, but would like to see if anyone out there has any experience with a similar situation.
I am concerned with making sure he is comfortable and not in pain. It's hard to determine whether he is in pain or not.
I am also concerned with him readjusting to his mates. He was kept separated for about a week when we brought him home, and now he is out and around the whole house, but his mates seem very unwilling to accept him. Not a lot of hissing or fighting, just the occasional hiss when he walks by.
Any information on similar experience or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Re: Looking for information

The only thing that comes to mind, and I am not sure it is possible after 3 weeks at home, is that Leo somehow has the smell of the vet's surgery about him.

If this is the case, you could try rubbing your other two cats with a soft dry cloth and then rubbing Leo. See if that works. I would be interested to hear if it works!

Poor Leo - glad to hear that he is getting on with recovery. I think your vet would be the best person to advise on whether he could still be in pain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

That's the usual reaction to the vet smell, but I'm surprised it's lingered this long ......??? I too would discuss the putative pain with your vet. Cats cope amazingly well with amputation, he'll be getting around as if nothing had happened before you know it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Welcome to Catsey.
Sorry that Leo has had to have an amputation. I'm sorry but have no experience, thankfuly of this.
I do agree with angie and DM that perhaps the smell of the vets is still on him, Cats have probably got a better sense of smell than us. Also he will obviously move differently.
Probably within time he will be accepted properly again.

Cats owned: 2domestic shorthairs, 1 mainecoon
manecoon is Male
23-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll give it a try with the soft cloth. They used to sleep together and groom one another. I guess I'm just anxious to get everything back to normal. But this may be the new normal, I hope not.

Thanks again, appreciate the input.