Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
02-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #1

The proplems with dry food

I ve just had to take Willow to the vets, she was producing lots of blood in her urine. When the vets X rayed her they found lots of big stones in her bladder. I ve never seen anything like it before when i saw the x ray. This is probably as a result of feeding her dry complete for most of her life.

The vets are awaitng results back but in the meantime i have to feed her a moist diet, the problem is i seam to have the only cat that will not touch meat, she wont look at whiskas, go cat, or any shop brands, even tried cooked ham and chicken. no luck so far

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #2

Re: The proplems with dry food

Hamish, that's very distressing news! Will she eat fish, or prawns or sardines? Could you try mixing a lot of the gravy from some moist food over her dried food so she'd get a little nutrition while waiting for the vet results? Please let us know how she's doing!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
03-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #3

((((((huggles)))))) poor Willow x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #4

Why not try one of the more expensive brands like Iams or HiLife, they have amuch higher meat content than the others. Hope she feels better soon. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #5

My fussy Chloe loves Sheba - tis more expensive but never seen her eat with so much enthusiasm before - you could try a product like that? More expensive but worth every penny.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #6

Asda's stock 4 tin special of Hi-Life and another brand (think it is John West) of two tins sardines in jelly and two tins tuna in jelly (4 tins) all for 98p. Now my Rosie has never ever liked fish (she is 9) until now. She loves these - worth a try.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

Poor Willow, how awful! I didn't know that feeding dry food could result in bladder stones

How common a problem is this, does anyone know?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
03-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #8

Cheers for your advice, ive tried some hi life meat, its very stong smelling and willow has had a bite. I am not able to leave the food out though as Keira will eat it. Iam awaiting the results back from the vet but she may need surgey to remove them but he is hoping that a special diet may do the trick, the vets recommending hills s/d which is not cheap but rather that than having to put her under. Until then she will be on a ton of anti biotics. Fingers crossed

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #9

Poor Willow, I hope she will be alright soon.....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
04-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #10

Fingers crossed for her - I wouldnt' recommend the HiLife or Feline Fayre tins of fish though, the magnesium content in fish isn't supposed to be good for cats with urinary tract issues. PEbbles only used to like gourmet food, before I discovered HiLife, all she would eat was Gourmet Gold or Felix as Good as it looks, but would go off either quickly - might be worth a try, she would also eat Sheba occasionally. Even using a dry food with a high meat content prob wont work (and I dont think Iams does), as it is things like the magnesium, ash and lack of water that causes UTI's, not the lack of meat in 'cheap' biscuits. Fingers crossed she doesn't need special food.