Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #31

Re: Religious Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I don't agree, sorry Donna. It's sort of a selfish attitute that, 'well I don't believe so I don't want to understand why others do and what it's all about' RE also gives a great insight into world troubles and why certain religions only eat certain foods, eat it in a certain manner etc... If this only provides you with a reason why your local curry house cooks the meat the way it does then at least it's something learned. All learning enriches us, it helps mould an all round, well balanced individual that is educated enough to make choices based on fact and gives an insight into what makes the world go round. No man is an Island as my father would have said. We live in a multicultural society. To understand different religions, needs, traits, allows us to live harmoniously will all our neighbours
Excellent! Great reply Fran!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
05-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
I'm a pagan but I firmly believe that learning more about other religions is the way to reducing ignorance of other cultures. I think paganism and atheism is also included in amongst all the other religions. I believe it's important to be able to choose for yourself and not follow blindly and to do that you need to have all the information you can.

Im a Pagan/Wiccan to Grete,and I never really enjoyed RE.I got to year 9 and asked if we would be learning about Paganism to which my teacher replied "paganism,whats that"! and walked off laughing something which I have experienced again since then with other christians/catholics etc.After that I hated the subject. Every lesson my teacher made snide comments about dancing round fires like faries and many more which I dont really care to remember,the one lesson he even sat there took a sip out of his drink spat it out and asked if I had been trying to make potions again! Why should I sit and learn about other religions and faiths,while mine is just laughed at. From that day RE lessons were just a waste of 2 hours a week for me. I had absolutely not interest in the subject what so ever and the time would have been much better spent learning in other subjects that I was really struggleing with like maths.

Donna I do hope you manage to get this sorted,I understand totally what you are saying and believe that it should be a persons choice wether or not they chose to study RE.

Catsey Veteran

06-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #33

[quote=Donna;457946]Both my son and daughter hated RE. They went to a Catholic primary school and they were brainwashed from the age of 4 1/2 to 11.

This is what I really can't understand Donna. Why send your children to a catholic school if you are an athiest? Of course they are going to expect that pupils are catholics and believe in God. I sent my children to a C of E Primary School as I wanted them to participate in Christian religious festivals, Christmas, Easter, etc. The High School they went to wasn't C of E and although they do recognise Christmas & Easter as the majority of pupils are white British, and most of them would exchange presents at Christmas and eggs at Easter, they do not 'push' the religious side. They learn about all faiths. I recently took my daughter to a Muslim, Sikh, Hindu and Islaam temple as part of 'One World Week'; although we don't believe in their God it was a great insight into what they believe which helps us to understand and tolerate each other, which is so important in our multicultural society. I wasn't brought up as a Christian, but my faith is very important to me. My daughter is a strong Christian, my son is an athiest, this does upset me, but it is his choice. No-one should feel brainwashed, but have the facts and knowldege to make up their own minds. I'm sorry Donna, this isn't a dig at you personally, but I really think you are passing on your strong views onto your children, I feel children need all the knowledge they can to be able to make their own choices.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
06-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Im a Pagan/Wiccan to Grete,and I never really enjoyed RE.I got to year 9 and asked if we would be learning about Paganism to which my teacher replied "paganism,whats that"! and walked off laughing something which I have experienced again since then with other christians/catholics etc.
I hear you there, my RE teacher was a psycho and used to frequently flip out and throw tables and chairs around, sometimes even a pupil or two. My violin lessons used to be during RE so I used to get out of it.

Faith is a very personal thing and I do believe education in ALL faiths should be taught, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

I think up to 3rd year of senior school is adequate and then those that wish to study it further as a GCSE can.

Donna : I do hear what you are saying but I also think in sending them to a catholic school, it is going to be problematic since they are a religious based school.

That kind of comes with the territory of being a catholic school.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #35

Off topic a bit, but reading Grete's post reminded me of our sadistic RE teacher. He was 'old school'; cap and gown and all that. It was in our 1st year at school so I was 11, he called me a t@rt in front of the whole class because I was wearing little gold and pearl daisy earrings that my parents had bought me for Christmas. One of the boys turned to me and said 'did you hear what he called you'? Because at that age I had NO idea what a t@rt was - apart from a cake, it meant nothing to me. Makes me angry thinking about it now.

This was the same teacher that used to regularly and randomly hit boys in the class with a ruler (this was in the days before caning etc was banned). Nice guy.

(His nephew was/is the drummer in Madness).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #36

[quote=Kim;458199]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Both my son and daughter hated RE. They went to a Catholic primary school and they were brainwashed from the age of 4 1/2 to 11.

This is what I really can't understand Donna. Why send your children to a catholic school if you are an athiest? Of course they are going to expect that pupils are catholics and believe in God. I sent my children to a C of E Primary School as I wanted them to participate in Christian religious festivals, Christmas, Easter, etc. The High School they went to wasn't C of E and although they do recognise Christmas & Easter as the majority of pupils are white British, and most of them would exchange presents at Christmas and eggs at Easter, they do not 'push' the religious side. They learn about all faiths. I recently took my daughter to a Muslim, Sikh, Hindu and Islaam temple as part of 'One World Week'; although we don't believe in their God it was a great insight into what they believe which helps us to understand and tolerate each other, which is so important in our multicultural society. I wasn't brought up as a Christian, but my faith is very important to me. My daughter is a strong Christian, my son is an athiest, this does upset me, but it is his choice. No-one should feel brainwashed, but have the facts and knowldege to make up their own minds. I'm sorry Donna, this isn't a dig at you personally, but I really think you are passing on your strong views onto your children, I feel children need all the knowledge they can to be able to make their own choices.

You do not know me and you DONT KNOW the facts. I was married to a catholic man who was very manipulating. He got the kids done as Catholics and they went to the Catholic school. Dont judge me. I have now left him and am making a good life for me and my kids.

Secondly, why is it alright for christians to take their kids to church, and celebrate all the religious festivals without it seeming to be "pushing your views on your kids", but when as an athiest I am seen to be pushing my views on my kids.

Bit one sided here, but then of course all the religious fanatics are all whiter than white and just cos I dont believe in god I am a devil worshiper who should not be allowed to be a mother

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #37

Donna, no one believes you are a devil worshipper and unworthy to have kids!!! You're a good person and a loving and caring mum doing what you think is best for them! We may not agree with what you say but no one is putting you down personally! Obviously this is a hot button issue; let's agree to disagree in a civilized way.

Catsey Veteran

06-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #38

Totally over the top Donna!

I know I don't know you, I never said I did, all I did say (and others as well, not just me) was that as your children went to a catholic school, of course they are going to have religion pushed at them, whatever the reasons are for them attending the school is irrelevant really.

Also, I never, ever pushed my children to come to church, they did of their own free will and when they got old enough, my daughter made a decision to commit herself to God, my son chose not to. Now who is making a judgement! I do not consider myself a religious fanatic, nor am I whiter than white, most other Christians I know are the same, just ordinary people who have a faith. I never, ever said you were a devil worshipper either, and certainly never implied that you are a bad mother so not sure where that came from

I don't agree with what you have said, not just me as others have said so too, but you started a post and asked for poeple's opinions, if you don't like what you hear, perhaps you shouldn't have posted in the first place.

Religion is and always will be a controversial topic and it happens to be one that I feel strongly about. I don't apologise for that. However, I am sorry if I upset you, it wasn't intentional and as I said earlier it wasn't a personal dig at you either, just my opinion to which I, like you are entitled to.

I agree with Eileen that we should agree to disagree in a civilised way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
but you started a post and asked for poeple's opinions, if you don't like what you hear, perhaps you shouldn't have posted in the first place.
If you read my original post I was not asking for people's opinions. I asked:

Have I any rights to withdraw her from RE classes for her GCSE years? Anyone know or have any experience on this?

I didnt ask for an athiest bashing.

Catsey Veteran

06-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #40

I think the thread progressed from your original question, certainly the bit about your children attending a catholic school, which was what I was referring to.

Your last sentence isn't worth replying to as it is certainly not the case.

As I said in my last post, let's just agree to disagree.