Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #1

Dogs and deer antlers

There's been a recent thread on Dogsey about deer antlers as dog chews and I wondered if any other dog owners here have tried them?

Morgan's came this morning and he's been gnawing away at it for 2 whole hours now I thought he'd probably like it, he's quite a strong chewer and demolishes Nylabones in about a month. He's just put it down and I'm surprised how much he's gnawed away already to get at the marrow inside. He's such a happy boy, tired out with all the chewing! I bet his jaws ache but his teeth have had a good clean! He's so tired out he can hardly keep his eyes open, just rolled over with a big contented sigh hope he still has some energy for his afternoon walk!

Wonder if the cats would like one???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

Re: Dogs and deer antlers

I never knew dogs liked deer antlers, MrsH; the things I've learned here! I did know porcupines eat them because of the mineral content..... I suspect cats would completely ignore them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Am I wrong in thinking that cats can't actually chew?

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

I don't know, Angie; do know they have strong jaws. When people feed them raw chicken wings don't the bones disappear ... chewed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Had to Google this .....

"Although a cat's jaws are short, they are extremely strong. They clamp down upon prey with enough power to crush the bones. The lower jaw is attached to the upper one by means of a simple hinge. This arrangement permits only up-and-down motion. A cat cannot move its lower jaw sideways, nor can it grind its teeth. When a cat clamps its jaws shut, the teeth mesh side by side, somewhat like the meshing of gears. So cats tear and crush their food, but they do not chew it. Much of the food is swallowed whole, and digestive juices break it down for use."

Source: http://www.lookd.com/cats/anatomy.html

So bones could be crushed but not chewed it seems!

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

Fascinating! Thanks for that; the things I learn as I said earlier!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #7

Where do you get them from MrsH???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #8

Yes I am interested in the deer antler chew too although I imagine they would not last long Sal if she is in the mood can demolish a knuckle bone in about 1/2 hour....well crack it in half anyhow thats when I throw it away (scardey cat over splintered bones) She does not have nylabone bones there is something in the name I am not sure of "nyla" I think nylon and going through her digestive system.......so thats a no no but may try the deer antlers.

I may wait and see what the "bull breed owners" response is

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Where do you get them from MrsH???
From here it's a British company with British sourced antlers. I bought Morgan the medium size.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #10

Ooh I'll have to look at those for K's dogs!! They go through chews so fast maybe this is just the thing!!
I think natural chewing things are great for teeth.
I've given dehydrated rabbit's feet and ears to the cats and while the girls ignored them, Solomon would gnaw and crunch..even growl while eating them. It's so great to bring out that wild instinct and can curb alot of problems that develop from being domesticated and not exposed to all the things they usually would be.