Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #1

What would you have done

Okay senario
Busyish road not main road but opposite a field where horses are sometimes, houses I suppose you would class it a semi rural.
Driving down the road I notice on the left a young girl about 14-15 crying standing on the side of the road looking up and down the road. I drove on to the junction then went back pulled up on the other side got out and shouted across to the girl "are you alright" she was crying so hard she could not answer........ ....so I ....crossed the road and asked again.
In between sobs she said she was waiting for her Mom to come and get her. I did not want to interfere and did not think it was right to put her in the position of having to refuse to get into my car. You know strangers etc etc.
So I said "I'll wait here till your Mom gets here, do you want to loan a coat or something" as it was freezing cold.
She refused the coat. I sat in my car and waited while she stood there crying. I eventually broke and gave he a coat 10 minutes later a car pulled up and it was her Mom seems the girl had had a row with her"boyfriend" her Mom thanked me profusely for waiting with her....but what would you have done, in this day and age or any day and age I could not have passed by and done nothing?
But isn't it sad you feel "uncomfortable" offering help.
Have to say the girls Mom was constantly saying "Thank you to me for being so kind" I felt terrible for not doing more, but what?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Re: What would you have done

You could have done no more Kazz. You stayed with the girl to ensure her safety - if you had done more you would have put yourself at risk. The girl's mother (rightly) was grateful to you. You could hardly have phoned the police - that would have blown everything out of all proportion.

It was an uncomfortable situation for you but you did the best you could by keeping yourself and the girl safe.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
14-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #3

I would have done exactly what you did Karen. As you say, it wouldn't be right to offer a lift today, but waiting with her to make sure she was safe was the right thing, and you'll sleep easier in your bed tonight for it. Well done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
14-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing Kazz. You stayed within a distance to look out for her but not to make her uncomfortable. Well done to you she was very lucky you saw her first, as she was obviously vulnerable and that could have presented a horrendous situation in the wrong hands!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
14-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #5

I think you did the right think Kazz, exactly what I would have done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
15-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #6

You are such a sweetie Kazz! You did exactly the right thing, and made sure she was safe.

*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
15-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #7

you did the right thing. glad the girls ok.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #8

I think you handled the situation really well Kazz, you have to be so careful these days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #9

You did just the right thing Kazz.
Imagine how hard it is for good/nice/normal mature men. My husband often worries when he sees things that he's not sure of when he's driving alone - should he stop and help, should he pick up the lone young female hitch-hiker on a country road etc etc. Difficult isn't it, and the bad actions of a few make life awkward for the many

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #10

You are a saint Kazz and did exactly the right thing, which I'm sure the girl and her mum appreciated very much.