Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

Hearing dogs for deaf people

I went for a day out today with a few collegues from work to see the hearing dogs today.
What wonderful work they do. I was really impressed with the site & the kennels & the dogs.
It was very interesting to learn more about what other working dogs do & to listen to where they source their dogs from.... & we all fell in love with a baby poodle called Sweep!
A really wonderful charity!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #2

Re: Hearing dogs for deaf people

Glad you enjoyed the experience Smudgley! Don't hearing dogs source a large quantity of their dogs from rescue centres?

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #3

They do Fran, it's quite amazing really that they give lots of dogs a 2nd chance in life.
They have set up a very small breeding programme (12 broods) but have no plans to expand that by very much (just slightly) as they will still get most of their dogs from rescue centres here & in Ireland.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

that would have been really interesting to see, and it's nice that a lot of them are rescue dogs too.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #5

I think they really pride themselves on the fact they take rescues which is wonderful & everyones a winner. The kennels are full of dogs of all shapes & sizes. But my fave was Sweep the baby poodle.... I just looooooooved him!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #6

What an interesting experience Smudgley ......... all these dogs amaze me what they can do, no wonder they are called 'Man's best friend'.......

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

The one thing which is interseting is the dogs are obviously taught to alert the owner to a sound by (whatever method they are taught) but basically by touching the person, then the person asks what is it & the dog takes them to the sound.... quite straight forward you might think........

They do this with most of the sounds - the exception being danger sounds... So if the fire alarm goes off, they alert the handler but then the dogs drops to the ground in a very specific way, alerting the owner to danger.... they do not take the person to the noise, but instead the handler & the dog go to a safe place. Amazing eh?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #8

That is marvellous