Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #1

Reputation Points

I've posted this in the thread on putting your picture in your profile, but thought I'd add it here as well as people have been asking.

I've copied this from Dogweb. It explains what rep points are and what purpose they serve. It's really a benign way of showing appreciation of other members.

Reputation points... what are they?

Reputation Points is a... reputation system

We (you) can have an effect on peoples 'reputations' in our community - just as in the real world, where you get a 'good reputation' for being a nice/helpful/knowledgeable person or a 'bad reputation' for being a not so nice/not so helpful person.

Don't worry there are strict measures in place to prevent abuse. For example new users do not have the ability to 'give out' these reputation points (and they cant just rely on posts made in say the pictures threads or intros section as at least 50 posts are required from the general dog chat, health or behaviour sections first etc).

People who have negative reputations cannot give any reputation points to anyone else. Green is the 'neutral' point. Editorial from me (DM) - DW gave up on negative points quite early on....they were not helpful. CP has never had negative.

There are plenty of measures put in place to prevent abuse...

Apart from us actively monitoring accounts...

You can only give 1 point out at a time

You can only give out 10 points in a day

You can only give someone a reputation point once, and then have to give points to 20 other people before being able to give the same person another point. (So use them wisely!) Ed - I think Az may have tweaked this recently, as we whinged about the difficulties it caused with our small comunity. DM

In addition, if people are found to be giving them out just for the sake of it... they'll be taken away (so don't abuse them!).

People also gain powers as they progress through the community. For example, people with 'good' reputations have more 'clout' when giving points to other people (so you are better of getting points from people with good/'higher' reputations).

So how do you get more points? The main source is obviously from your fellow community members (so be good to them!). Another is how long you have been an active member (so people can not sign up extra accounts then not post but come back 10 years later to up their own points! Doubt anyone would go to those extremes, but least we've got measures in place to prevent it!). Another way your reputation increased is by your own post count, although this is set as a minimal as we don't want people to make posts just for the sake of it.

So what's the point of it?

Well... apart from us seeing whos a good member of the community and who isnt (whos posts are held in high esteem and who's aren't etc), we can set certain 'things to happen' based upon high or low reputations.

For eg, we could take away the ability to see the 'hidden members only' forum for those with negative reputations, or if the negative reputations get really bad they can automatically be 'sent to coventry!' (meaning all their posts are 'ignored' by everyone - ie they do not show, although the poster themselves can see them). For people with 'high' points, perhaps they can get access to new forums? Or can get promotion in another way?

Nothing is yet decided but I'm sure it will be a useful and fun tool to have! If it doesn't work, I can always switch it off.

Hope that helps. I think it is quite a useful tool - helps new people identify the 'elder statesmen' of the board and probably, in time, will bring additional privileges for 'high rollers'. On DW members gain a 'green blob' per 100 rep points and these are displayed on their 'headers'. Each blob carries a slogan 'a distinguished member' etc etc.
DW has also introduced a symbol for long-term members. It's a tree over there (useful for the dogs! ), maybe we could suggest a symbol to fit cats?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #2

Re: Reputation Points

Thanks DM, that's very useful as I had never heard the full explanation of them before!

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #3

Thank you Mags
Actually I think it's quite a nice system, when used properly. There are moments on DW when it's just silly, in a 'you give me one and I'll give you one' sort of way; but we're more mature on the cat board!
I try to remember to dish out my daily ration, but admit that I forget sometimes

Global Moderator

07-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #4

I agree DM, if the system isn't used properly what's the point of having it
Oh...and yes, we are more mature on here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #5

Think i understand!!

Global Moderator

07-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #6

Donna, do you know how to award them and check your own?

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Donna, do you know how to award them and check your own?
Thats a good point Mags!

Award them by clicking on the little 'scales of justice' on the actual thread you are commending. A dialogue box will appear and allow you to make the award.

Check your own by clicking User CP in the toolbar at the top of the page. You will see that you are told who has given you points and whether they have left any messages.

Hope that's clear. Hope you've got lots!

Global Moderator

07-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #8

Thanks DM, I couldn't have explained it better to Donna myself!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
07-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #9

alaways wondered what the scaleswhere for ive got 28 rep points (is that good??)

Global Moderator

07-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #10

You're doing great BM.....if you click on User CP, top left, then scroll down to the bottom, you will see why you got them and who gave them to you....