Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
16-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Question for a friend of mine

Merlin is just over a year old. and hes belongs to some elderly neighbors of mine. he is best friends with his *dad* Roy has had a stroke and Merlin knows that. but Jean his *mum* is going through the wars with him. he keeps on either biting or clawing at her. she will feed him give him treats n fuss, he sleeps with her as well. but all of a sudden he will just turn on her for no reason. i suggested getting an aerosol of air to just a quick squirt might stop him,and hopefully all she would have to do is pick up the can and he will stop. any other suggestions??

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
17-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Re: Question for a friend of mine

Cats don't turn on people for no reason. Might be worth spending some time figuring out what the cues/triggers might be. When did they get him? Have they ever taught him how to play fair? Do they use their hands to play with him or strings on sticks etc? Is he neutered?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
17-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

One of our cats, Swirl, is very sensitive to smells. Does she wear perfume or anything like that. Maybe he is just trying to play with her if he is an only cat. Ours all play with each other like you describe and he is only young. I would hazard a guess he's realised his dad can't play so he's trying mum. Would a laser light tire him out a bit or any other sort of safe play. Our youngest boy, Huggins is nearly 8 months now and he has 5 'uncles' (big, furry neutered adult toms) and the smaller 2 of the dogs to play with. If he was an only cat he would be a nightmare.

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #4

my friends spoil this cat rotten.he wants for nothing. they are both elderly now so another cat wouldn't be an option. i did try to get them to consider a rescue cat a bit older but they fell in love with merlin.
He has been done. up to date with all jabs ect. he goes out but not often he will explore the garden but always goes back to check on his dad. when its bed time thats when he will start going mad. he has his zoomies time then. he knows when they are getting ready for bed. but he has the run of the house, sorry bungalow. uses his litter tray. so no probs there. just he goes for poor jean. maybe hes jealous of her??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #5

Has he had a vet check recently? If all ok that way -

What does she do when he is naughty? If she is reacting negatively he will realise he has the upper hand. He is still only a kitten albeit a youngish teenager.

I agree with the suggestion of a laser toy, great fun for owner & cat & tires them out

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
19-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Cathy, I asked my friend who is a cat rescuer, about Merlin and she asked if he has fleas? Evidently, fleas can make a cat suddenly beconme angry and cause them to lash out. As Merlin is well looked after I assume he does not have fleas so perhaps he is stressed because of his poor dad's illness. Jean may need to tire him out with a variety of cat toys. The laser light is a great idea. I hope he settles down for your friends.

Catsey Veteran

19-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
Cathy, I asked my friend who is a cat rescuer, about Merlin and she asked if he has fleas? Evidently, fleas can make a cat suddenly beconme angry and cause them to lash out. As Merlin is well looked after I assume he does not have fleas so perhaps he is stressed because of his poor dad's illness. Jean may need to tire him out with a variety of cat toys. The laser light is a great idea. I hope he settles down for your friends.
Fully vet checked. no flea,s and wormed regular. hes got loads of toys, ill suggest the laser pen for him.i remember having 1 for my 2 they loved it