Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #11

Re: Asked to help 5 cats in 2 days!

Bless that nurse. There are some good people out there ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #12

Farthing, thanks for your good heart and patience and yes, bless that MH nurse too. You made me realise that we hadn't given a thought to what would happen to Posh in the (hopefully, not too soon ) event of our demise.
I know my brother would not be able to take her because of his allergies, my sis lives in America, my daughter and family have a dog, don't know how that would work.

I 'm sure my family would rally around and ensure she is cared for, but must try not to dwell on it too much. You got me thinking now so must make a plan.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #13

It is certainly one of those things that once sorted can bring comfort in the knowledge that your pets will be looked after. There is The Cinnamon Trust, a charity set up specifically to help elderly people care for their pets - it is not yet countrywide though and does not look as if it operates in Scotland.

I must think about it - I have no near relatives and although OH has a brother who may be able to take Monty, he probably wouldn't want to look after Kizzy and Pip. Hopefully it won't be needed but it is always best to be prepared.

Bless you farthing and that MH nurse who really went out of her way to help those cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #14

Hmmm good point I never considered what would happen to Sal. I will have to think about that.

Although it is one of the reasons I am unsure of another animal after Sal, maybe fostering is the answer all the joys of animal care, and yet no long term responsibilities.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
This may not sound much but we are a small, relatively unknown sanctuary, so it is a sign that elsewhere, more well known rescue are full.
The first 2 were cats owned by a lady going into care- one is 6 and one is 16, both neutered males and unvaccinated. We were lucky enough to get another sanctuary to take them for assessment and potential rehoming, although we will cover blood tests and vaccinations for them ( and potentially end up with the 16 year old permanently.
The other 3 were fosters because the owner's were in a mental health unit, the cats had nobody to look after them and they were not vaccinated so catteries will not take them. Thankfully they have all found a place ( one has been driven to Lossiemouth by the MH nurse.)
It is sad to see there is no where for animals whose owner's end up in this situation. We do all we can to help but having taken in a dog and a guinea pig and possibly 40 hens in the next couple of weeks we are full!

How very odd as I had a call from Cornhill Hospital, Social work dept asking me about fostering 2 cats on friday morning. I did try to call you, bet your very pleased I didnt get you . Anyway, managed to get them a foster home, so all is well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #16

It was probably the same 2 cats Elaine- it was Cornhill who contacted me too.
The next one was the Inverurie mental health unit. In the past we have fostered a cat for them short term, until it went to someone else to foster- they let it out and it went missing ( I was so upset about that one) and Loki also came via Inverurie as his owner was going into care long term and he was going to be PTS.
Ultimately I would love to have a list of fosterers and rescues who would be willing to help in situations like these and large scale rescues where people have either overbred or become hoarders- we already have a selections of cages ( not great ones) but suitable for short term care until homes could be found. I just haven't had the time and so many rescues as competitive about things its hard to get them to work together!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #17

Well the girl who I got to foster the two cats would probably be willing to help out. I'll ask her. All their animals are rescues. Oh and if you know of anyone who may be interested in taking on some ferrets, give me a shout please as this couple have ferrets also and have recently taken on some more who were to be pts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
05-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #18

Farthing where abouts in the UK are you? When we're in a position to we may be getting Dylan a friend.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #19

Hi, we are in Aberdeenshire, so quite a bit away. It looks like the 16 year old will be coming to the sanctuary as he has long term health problems, the other sanctuary are going to take responsibility for the 6 year old. It's a shame to split them up but in reality the old guy may not have much longer anyway and it will be easier to rehome the young lad on his own. He is booked in for a vet check on the 13th, and once we collect the old man, he will be vet checked and blood tested to find out exactly what is going on!
We really don't want another cat, but have no real option, it's just so sad that all rescues are full and any other animals needing spaces are going to be harder and harder to place.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
06-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #20

Everywhere is just so full at the moment I have a very traumatised 5 month old Bengal in the bathroom at the moment we have called her Porsche CP wouldn't touch her as she was a tad nuts to put it politely

She has come on in leaps and bounds in the last week though, she now purrs for me but not OH and is now sleeping in the open on her balnkie in the bidet and likes to be stroked as my sister found out this morning during her ablutions

At least here she is safe and will become whatever she can be she is a brown marbled girl and her coat is gorgeous

Hope all goes well on the oldies vet visit, I have an NFC in my cat room so matted he is off to be shaved tomorrow he came from folks who never groomed him and this is his third and last shave but he will be going home to his breeder when she leaves hospital so only lodging with us