Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Asked to help 5 cats in 2 days!

This may not sound much but we are a small, relatively unknown sanctuary, so it is a sign that elsewhere, more well known rescue are full.
The first 2 were cats owned by a lady going into care- one is 6 and one is 16, both neutered males and unvaccinated. We were lucky enough to get another sanctuary to take them for assessment and potential rehoming, although we will cover blood tests and vaccinations for them ( and potentially end up with the 16 year old permanently.
The other 3 were fosters because the owner's were in a mental health unit, the cats had nobody to look after them and they were not vaccinated so catteries will not take them. Thankfully they have all found a place ( one has been driven to Lossiemouth by the MH nurse.)
It is sad to see there is no where for animals whose owner's end up in this situation. We do all we can to help but having taken in a dog and a guinea pig and possibly 40 hens in the next couple of weeks we are full!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Re: Asked to help 5 cats in 2 days!

It's something I am very conscious of - what will become of my two cats and the dog if anything were to happen to OH and/or me. Perhaps it's worth a thread of it's own?

Good luck with 16 year old cat - not an easy rehome.

Catsey Veteran

03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

I know many people are against vaccination, but perhaps if anybody is likely to be in this situation they need to be sure vaccines are up to date, or your animal may not even be given a chance!
We are looking at trying to fund a couple of dog/ cat runs to try and help, even if only for a couple of weeks while the animal gets its vaccines, but obviously we need to look after our own sanctuary animals before looking into this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

It's a pity there isn't a registry for people who would foster unvacccinated cats; I would do it if Leia weren't so adamant about being an only cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's something I am very conscious of - what will become of my two cats and the dog if anything were to happen to OH and/or me. Perhaps it's worth a thread of it's own?

Good luck with 16 year old cat - not an easy rehome.
I have a clause in my will that the main benefactor takes care of my pets for their natural life (with their agreement)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
This may not sound much but we are a small, relatively unknown sanctuary, so it is a sign that elsewhere, more well known rescue are full.
The first 2 were cats owned by a lady going into care- one is 6 and one is 16, both neutered males and unvaccinated. We were lucky enough to get another sanctuary to take them for assessment and potential rehoming, although we will cover blood tests and vaccinations for them ( and potentially end up with the 16 year old permanently.
The other 3 were fosters because the owner's were in a mental health unit, the
cats had nobody to look after them and they were not vaccinated so catteries will not take them. Thankfully they have all found a place ( one has been driven to Lossiemouth by the MH nurse.)It is sad to see there is no where for animals whose owner's end up in this situation. We do all we can to help but having taken in a dog and a guinea pig and possibly 40 hens in the next couple of weeks we are full!
It's bad everywhere Farthing at present, everywhere is full, kittens are not even moving if it wasn't for people such as yourselves, it does not bear thinking about

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
03-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Another reason why we should keep up with vaccinations even though there are also good arguments against annual boosters. Such a dilemma!

I'm not sure that our 2 children would be willing to take our pets but our son's godmother has specifically requested that she be nominated in our wills as preferred adopter of our cats and the dog would go back to his breeder for rehoming. We thought it was something we should sort out.

Are rescues particularly pressed this year? I don't think I've seen many reports although there was a story in the paper the other day about black and white cats being overlooked as adopters were preferring tabbies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

I have a provision in my will for Leia. Those of us who're older with no family or SO really need to make provision for our animals.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

If the patients are under Council caare the Council are bound by law to look after the animals - very few make this public, also have you tried the Blue Cross for the oldies as they have a foster scheme

Also might be worth checking with CP to see if they might help with injection costs if you "take on" the cats till homes can be found as fosters

I currently have a 5 month old Bengal found about 8 miles from here in my bathroom as CP wanted to PTS as she was a bit hissy and frantic, bless her she is scared but after 4 days here is much calmer, loves valarian toys and is now purring up a storm and we can pick her up and she is called Porsche and will be staying here for the forseable future

All our mob are in our wills with the provision once they have all gone the lucky person gets the house and all cash

Catsey Veteran

04-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #10

Yes Liz, it was a mental health nurse in each case who contacted us, they were the ones going and feeding the cats when they finished work, and they were the ones trying to find a placement but in each case could find no where to take them. The one found a place thanks to pet fostering services Scotland, but the closest fosterers was in Lossiemouth, and it was the nurse who drove the cat up there yesterday once she had finished work. After a full days work she drove there and didn't get home until after 9pm at night.