Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
24-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Cooper Update (elderly insulinomic ferret)

Don't know who read my report on the daily last week or not--If you didn't, basically Cooper's insulinoma seemed to be getting worse and I took him in to be checked and he was diagnosed not only with insulinoma but cardiomyopathy and adrenal disease. All late stage, no chance of recovery. No pain so we agreed to take him home to die. She made it quite clear time is not on his side.
The latest is he has gone downhill quite a lot since I last wrote on Saturday. It's hard to watch and we're constantly trying to see if we need to just help him over to the bridge or not. As soon as I'm leaning one way, he does something to push me the other way and I just end up confused and emotionally exhausted.
Wanted to let you guys know why I haven't been chatting much. Just preoccupied with this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #2

Re: Cooper Update (elderly insulinomic ferret)

Tink, I did read your report, and guess I didn't reply, sorry. It's very hard watching them slip into a decline when you know there's no hope of improvement.

I'm kind of inclined to go along with Kazz' theory: better a day too soon than a day too late; are ferrets good at concealing pain? This is a decision only you can make, I wish I could be there and talk over a cup or glass of something... all I can say is I know you'll make the right decision for Cooper, and, (((hugs)))! Never easy, is it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #3

So sorry to read this, poor Cooper & you too

Hugs xx

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #4

Thanks, Eileen.
The vet said most ferrets either vocalize or turn inward. I kind of feel like sometimes he does the latter. It's hard though because I keep questioning myself. And I feel guilty thinking of putting him to sleep..Will he feel I've given up on him? And wouldn't he rather die in his own bed than a sterile doctor's office? I feel so responsible..his life was not so good before. I so want him to know he is loved and cared for. Sometimes he is out of breath and unable to walk and I say "This is it, I'll schedule him" and then he rallies and walks around and seems alert and then I wonder if he is telling me to wait. I'm so confused and praying for a sign.

*Edit* thanks Velvet too, we posted at the same time, not ignoring you

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

Cooper has an appt. to go to the Bridge tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #6

Øh Tink, so sorry, but he'll be out of pain and discomfort ..... and he knows how much he is loved. (((hugs))).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
24-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

So sorry to hear that tink, it's such a hard choice but whatever your decision it's the best for cooper. I found myself in a similar position with one of the ratties the other week, kept changing my mind but I'm glad I did it for her at that time.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

So sorry to hear this, Tink ..... Cooper will be at peace and free from suffering...
*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #9

Hard decision Tink but I agree better a day too early than a day too late. You have certainly done all you could to give Cooper some quality time. I am a great believer that any amount of care and kindness helps a spirit on it's way. (((HUGS)))

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #10

That's beautifully put, Angie, I'll remember that.