Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
11-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

Yuck yuck yuck yuck. Flys laying eggs on food.

Well I assume they were from flies..recently Meow (the cat on the allotment who lives on our plot) has had these little white things in her dish, think they're fly eggs or something now but we didn't realise and were just cleaning out her dish really well everyday. Just now Patch wanted feeding, I picked up his dish, got a spoon and tried to level out the food that was already in their...and their were little wriggly things. Oh my gosh. I nearly dropped his bowl on his head. Disgusting. Icky, yucky, ewwy. Now I am really itchy and feel ill. Yes I know I'm OTT, but what if he would have....eaten them. Yuck.

Now, assuming they were fly eggs or whatever how do we stop the eggs being layed on their? Patch has dry food and meat mixed together and Meow just has meat (she will not eat dry food). Any tips? Comments?

Yucky.

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #2

Re: Yuck yuck yuck yuck. Flys laying eggs on food.

Sorry probably no help here but I would say dont leave food about. Cover it up or better stil just put out enough thats scoffed and clean out the dishes after every feed.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
11-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #3

To stop flies from getting on her cats food, my nan covers it up and when the cats ask for food she puts it down on the floor for them again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #4

How about a cheap cool bag to keep the food in and/or a lid you fit on top of cat food tins or silver foil.
In this heat I don't think you will stop the flies getting to the food especially in the allotment, in the house I never leave food down once Cleo has finished eating the food is removed and dishes cleaned out. But you could try fly catchers you know those strips people hang down.

Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #5

The safest way would be to give Patch a smaller amount of food so that he
will clear his dish in one go. Any food left in his dish after should immediately be thrown away and the dish washed as it will attract the flies if left.

Flies may carry diseases on their bodies and transmit them to the surfaces on which they land. Flies eggs can hatch in anything fron 8 hours to 3 days so it is very important not to leave any uncovered food around especially in hot weather.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #6

Wise advice given above! Maggots in the food are enough to make anyone queasy...eeeew! My stray outside always cleans her plate completely so haven't had this problem,

Catsey Senior

11-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Think we will start feeding him less but more regularly then. Might give him a bowl of dry food down all the time too? Would that attract flies?

Mags - 8 hours?? His dish was washed about dinner time, but that is about 8 hours I guess.

The thing with Meow on the allotment is we feed her once in the morning and once at night, she never ever eats it straight away....so now sure what to do with her?

Thanks everyone, that was really helpful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #8

I may be wrong, but I don't believe dry food attracts flies the way wet does. But that won't help with Meow, as you said she won't eat dry? If she doesn't come and eat at once, that could be a problem...maybe feed her a little less so she'll be hungrier and come sooner? Once she's gotten into the habit of eating promptly you could increase the amount again...???/

Catsey Senior

11-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I may be wrong, but I don't believe dry food attracts flies the way wet does. But that won't help with Meow, as you said she won't eat dry? If she doesn't come and eat at once, that could be a problem...maybe feed her a little less so she'll be hungrier and come sooner? Once she's gotten into the habit of eating promptly you could increase the amount again...???/

I'm not sure - we tried dry food before and she never ate it no matter what we did to it, we could try it again though, might take a bit down tomorrow night. Thanks for the tip, will tell dad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
11-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #10

Hi Jane, I had this same problem last year and it's starting again this year. I had maggots in the bin last year too

I bought an ultraviolet light that I have plugged in near the food to attract the flies.

Other than that I just feed smaller portions and then clean all the bowls.

Eileen is right though, dried food doesn't attract them - it's just the wet food. Some wet foods do seem to be more attractive to them than others as well They seem to like the gravy varieties!!!