Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
25-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Barking Dog!!!!

My neighbour has recently got a dog. (about 8 months ago)It barks and barks and barks and has not shown any signs of settling down. It was a rescue dog and I wonder if that is why the original owner got shut of it??

This used to be such a peaceful area and their dog has shattered the peace and quiet of sitting in the garden (it even barks in the house). I spoke to the neighbours a while ago, in passing, about training it but they are lazy and generally noisy people and just shout the dogs name once when he barks or bang on the window!! ( I mean!)

As there are a lot of dog owners on the site I was wondering how you would like to be approached.

Should I come armed with leaflets on training or what??? I don't want to fall out with them but I couldn't possibly just let it go as it's driving me insane.

Should I buy one of those dog whistles I've seen advertised? or is that just for owners?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
25-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: Barking Dog!!!!

if the dog is causing alot of noise, id get in touch with the enviromental health at the local council. mean while keep a log of times dates ect,and a recording of the noise would be handy.
good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
25-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #3

firsrtly is it barking while the neighbours are in or while they are out?
If it is barking while they are out then the chances are they dont know.Most owners with dogs that bark are generally the last to know because they arent around when the dog is barking.I am one of these owners and the first I knew of my dogs barking (because they rarely bark while we are here) was a horrible man knockingon my door shouting and screaming at me that my f***ing dogs bark 24.7 and that he was going to call the enviromental health! I would have a word with your neighbour before you go doing anything like calling the enviormental givethe owner a chance to try and sort the problem out,if there are times when the dog barks more then usual,just keep a note of it and let the neighbour know,our other neighbours were fantastic and did this for us and we found out that our dogs were barking at the time the boy racers who live at the top our road came home.
Just be nice (I know you would be ) when you approach your neighbour about this,then if nothing improves go to enviromental health.

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #4

It happens when they are in. I think it's excited or likes to protect the property or looking for attention and I feel sorry for the dog to be honest!! When they got it it was in the house and spoilt and now it's got a kennel in the garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #5

We have had a similar problem, but they barked all night, about 6ft from our bedroom window, got enviourmental health in and the dog warden spoke to them, next step is a court order....But we have bought one of those bark busters and its working a treat, no barking at night now...

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
We have had a similar problem, but they barked all night, about 6ft from our bedroom window, got enviourmental health in and the dog warden spoke to them, next step is a court order....But we have bought one of those bark busters and its working a treat, no barking at night now...

Tell me more Moli I'm very interrested

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #7

Every time the dog barks (2 of them in our case) this bark buster omits a sonic noise only the dogs can here! they do bark during the day, but only once or twice now...They are kenneled outside right next to our fence...

Got to go now, but will put up the link for it later...think it was about £45..not sure though...

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #8

Where can I buy one of these??

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
Where can I buy one of these??
We got our over the internet, you may be able to get one from a pet shop though....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #10

BC, here's a link to a UK site for the Bark Buster....
http://izola.co.uk/bark-buster/body.htm