Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
21-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #1

Baby Bear (the ferret) is sick..

To make a long story short, Baby Bear's has an upset tummy. Green liquid diahhrea. I dropped off a fecal sample at the vet but no results yet as they were slammed when I went there (literally--a line out the door an hour from closing time!!). They are open half day tomorrow so hopefully the vet calls me back tonight or tomorrow morning so if something needs to be done it can be with his regular doctor.
He played a little but you can tell his tummy hurts. I picked up some pedialyte on the way home as his scruff is not bouncing back like I'd like it to and I'm gonna give him some soupies because I'm not sure how he's been eating today (been kind of a crazy 24 hrs so wasn't able to observe him as much as usual).
I hope the vet calls me soon. My thoughts originally were ECE and then I thought maybe parasites and now it seems to be less bright green and this last one had a bit more brown to it although still the consistency of water (poor kid!!) so now I am starting to wonder if he has some kind of blockage but I don't know how I could have missed anything as they've only been in THEIR ferret proofed room as of late. And ECE, well our newest kid is Pino who has been here two months so why this late and why only him?? And parasites, well Solomon had worms when we first got him so that's possible...
I don't know. I haven't had much sleep in the last 24 hours and I'm running on empty so everything feels confusing right now because I'm not thinking straight. I'm going to syringe him some pedialyte and give him some soupies and then take a nap and maybe my head will be more clear when I wake up.
Needless to say, I'm worried.
Good vibes please?..Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #2

Re: Baby Bear (the ferret) is sick..

oh i think i am going to be up all night, i am so worried he is only three pounds, too little to be losing fluid like this. there is this horrible metallic smell to his feces like he is losing blood or nutrients, i've smelled it when i worked at the vet and also the human hospital, i can smell sickness and his bowel movements reek of it and this just cropped up SO fast and he is my "first born" ferret and i am so scared, i could just cry and cry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

Oh Tink, I'm sending you both loads of vibes. Please let us know how he is. (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
21-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

The poor thing... sending vibes from me and my fluffies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

Sending healing vibes from here too Tink. Fingers and toes all crossed for Baby Bear.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

Hope you find out what is going on and can deal with it. Its exhausting just worrying about then, never mind having to nurse as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
21-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #7

Sending lots of get well soon vibes for Baby Bear, poor sweetie, nasty tummy bugs can be a distressing time for them and us !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Hope things have improved since you posted; sending healing vibes. It's so awful when they're ill....

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

thank you, he has perked up a little today. still loose stools but with a good amount of pumpkin it has made it a little less watery. i phoned the vet and they are absolutely slammed again, completely booked. the tech said she would ask the dr. if we could somehow squeeze him in or at least phone in some meds to the pharmacy close to my house to tide me over as most places are closed on sunday and i don't trust our emergency vet very much as they are not very ferret knowledgable.
sorry if i sounded a little crazy, i was just really worried. i'll let you know how he does and if there's any news/progress.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #10

It sounds a little better; hope they do phone in the scrip and it'll help.