Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #31

Re: fresh meat

I tried chicken wings and mine turned their noses up too.... but Chloe does like some raw sliced breast meat... think they were just too disgusted at having to bite their meat off the bone!!! Pampurred pusscats!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
23-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #32

After a while I trimmed some of the meat off the bone to see if that would tempt them, without result. I probably expected this to be honest, they're 2 years old now and had never seen raw before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #33

Are you feeding the wings at room temperature? I leave mine out of the fridge for several hours before offering it. Remember if they were eating 'natural' raw meat it would be likely to be freshly hunted/killed and therefore at blood temperature. That would probably make it smell more appetising and have a better 'mouth-feel' (as the food technologists say!). Now the weather is colder I would consider putting the wings in a plastic container in another dish/sink/whatever filled with hot water, to bring the temperature of the meat up, without cooking it.
Persevere - it's nice watching them enjoy themselves with more natural food.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: BSH x2
swerv is Male
24-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #34

the slight problem i have found is they now 'hold out' for the good stuff and not eating the right amount of dry food, they are going to have to learn that its not their main diet.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
24-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #35

Thanks for the advice about temperature DM. Yesterday I served the chicken at room temperature, but your idea of warming it to better simulate blood temperature makes a lot of sense. I'll try again in a couple of days and see how it goes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv
the slight problem i have found is they now 'hold out' for the good stuff and not eating the right amount of dry food, they are going to have to learn that its not their main diet.....
This is why I very seldom offer mine any treats. I know it probably sounds mean but their diet is balanced so they don't need extras. Perhaps you should try a treat only occassionally.