Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #11

Re: cat drags bottom on floor

This sounds like a classic case of anal glands that need emptying. Thought it was more common in dogs though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #12

I thought it was usually a male cat problem.....??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
12-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #13

Whenever my cats have scooted it was cos they had been eating grass and had a cling-on after a litter tray visit

I would get it checked out tho, female cats have scent glands in their rears as well I believe and any gland can get blocked. She might be doing it to scent-mark if she is stressed or as has been suggested, worms or fleas

Is she spayed?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #14

As Yola has mentioned - she doesn't have cystitus does she? My Bubble does this when she has it............is she often going to go to urinate and not passing much?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #15

I too would advise to get her anal glands checked. If the anal glands are full, they become very uncomfortable. The cat will drag it's bottom along the carpet to try to relieve the discomfort, and will also lick or bite around that area which can often be mistaken for thinking the cat has fleas.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
18-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #16

My Maine Coon (passed away now @19) went thru a phase of overgrooming. Vet said it was stress. I was going thru a v. stressful time at the time myself. As soon as things sorted themselves out in my life and the stress subsided my cat just got better over time. I'm sure they pick up on our energy! There is a good book by V. Halls called The Cat Detective. It has info re cats and the various forms that stess can take. I have consulted it for my multi cat household and found it helpful (and v.funny at times!). Has your cat had an 'organ' blood test, just to rule out any pain she may be having inside that might prompt her to keep licking? Aside from everyone else's helpful input I can't think of what else it could be. I hope she gets better soon, bless her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #17

Denis started doing it when we put a carpet down (having had wooden flooring or tiles) I thought he just wanted to itch his bum cos it felt nice and how else does he do it??? Doesn't do it often though