Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

A day in Bosnia

We booked a coach tour to Bosnia and set off from the hotel at 7.00am. The sky was very overcast and within an hour it started to rain.......... the only rain we had in the whole fortnight! By the time we reached the Croatia/Bosnia border it was like a deluge, such a shame as the mountain scenery would have looked spectacular in sunshine.

It took us about 3 hours+ to reach Bosnia and we were certainly made aware of the destruction that had been caused by the war of '92/'95. There was such a huge loss of lives during the war that there wasn't enough space to bury all the bodies. Other than mass graves, sometimes people were forced to dig graves in their own gardens and bury members of their own family, it was a very sobering thought as we drove through Bosnia and saw the gravestones in gardens and on the roadside.

We were booked to take a 1 1\2 hour guided tour around Mostar but by the time we reached there, the rain was coming down in sheets and we were literally paddling in water so the tour was cancelled and we had to make our own way around if we wished.

Mostar Bridge

This bridge was a famous and historical bridge before its destruction in 1993. It spanned the River Nevetva. It also became a World Heritage site in the twentieth century.

The reconstruction of the bridge was completed in 2004 and was opened by Prince Charles in the same year.

The bridge used to be used for diving competitions and is still used by young men today who will jump from the top if they receive enough "tips" from tourists to make it worthwhile. The bridge is about 21 metres high.

There was a young man stripped off in the pouring rain waiting to make the jump/dive but unfortunately his 'assistant' wasn't able to collect enough money to make it worth his while ........... I expect his rates went sky-high in such atrocious weather!!!

Finally, the remains of the war damage are clear to see everywhere .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

Re: A day in Bosnia

Despite the war, it still looks like a stunning and remarkable place to visit. Thanx for posting the pics Mags.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
17-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

I agree with Elaine that despite the war it still looks a stunning place to go and visit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

What a wonderful place!! So very tragic about the human as well as the infrastructure destruction there - I remember the reports on the bombing of that stunning bridge on the news when it happened.

The area is on my must-visit list . . . just need to wait until the boys are a bit older to appreciated being dragged around old towns and historical sights.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

Much more somber look than your other pics Mags, but still stunning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #6

Again, lovely pics, and the architecture is so nice to see. I cannot comprehend what it must have been like for people to have to bury their dead in gadens and roadsides. How tragic.

On a positive note though there is obviously some regeneation and I assume tourism will help the economy too.