Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
07-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #11

Re: Rip . . . :-(

I'm sorry he's lost his beloved car Yola, I wonder about insurance companies sometimes though, they have a reputation of being a bit too quick to write off cars in my opinion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #12

Tell hubby the in thing no is a bike...pedal variety

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #13

Sorry to read this, Yola; I know people who drive get very attached to their cars.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #14

That is a real shame. Lovely car.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
08-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
He's been searching online for lease prices on a 911 or whetever their derivative is which are flippin' pricey and to be honest I think they're a bit too flash. Problem is he has fast cars in his blood and it's about one of the only ones which is a 4-seater!

Jo, my plate is YLA 469
Yola if he's into sporty... has he looked at a MINI.. i drive one and they are super sporty... and have 4 seats...
When i got mine 18 months ago... hubby wanted us to get a mazda MX5.. but because he's 6'4" he was far too tall...plus it only had 2 seats... but we settled on the Mini cause it was sporty, had heaps of room... and two seats in the back.. not that we use them very often...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #16

Sorry to hear about your OH`s car Yola , it looked to have been a lovely car, bet it was a great drive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #17

Jo, I think Minis, even the Cooper S ones don't have the oomph he's looking for. We did test drive one a couple of years ago and whilst it's a lovely nippy car I think it's not 'butch' enough for him.

He's currently got his courtesy car which is an Alfa Romeo Coupe - also no slouch - and he can hold on to it for a year under the terms of the insurance; but he's just hankering after a heavy German car with a high top end speed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #18

Yola - is there any value in buying the Porsche as a write off and gradually restoring it - a project for him? As it has a rarity value and as they are appreciating, maybe it would prove a viable proposition. Plus, maybe, service/work charges are going down a bit, as times are tight?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #19

DM - he was talking about buying the engine (a new one is £6K ), gearbox, the lovely cream leather seats . . . but the problem is the underside of the car is badly bent so it's not something he can do on his own - needs major machinery to try and straighten it. Plus we don't really have anywhere to keep the bits or to carry out the rebuild as we have no garage.

The damage was obviously was much worse than we first thought - just thought it was bent bodywork initially.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #20

It just might be worth pursuing it before accepting its loss. At least he can then be convinced he did everything to try to save his old friend, even if it turns out to be for nought